cam selection

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
i am building a 360 engine with a target goal of 350-400 hp. currently i have a mopar performance camshaft with 429"/.444" lift 268/276 duration. I found a local ad for two other mopar performance camshafts. one is 284/284 duration with 484/484 lift and the other is 268/272 duration with 450-455 lift. would these be better for what i am looking for or too much? I am trying to make a streetable engine. please give your input on these cams. Thanks.

There are much better sb cams than the mopar performance cams. The MP cams are old designs and cam design has progressed.

One of the Comp Extreme Engergy or Lunati Voodo cams would be a much better choice. Their fast ramp design makes much more low end power without sacrificing much on top.

I have a Comp XE268H (.224/[email protected] .477/.480) cam in my 360 and it is producing approximately 370 HP (based on 13.7 @ 102 1/4 mile best) with a smallish 600cfm carb. The engine pulls hard from 1500 rpm to 6500 rpm.

As dgc333 says....Comp Cam Extreme Energy line is excellent , much newer designs that doesnt bleed off cylinder pressure like those old Mopar cams. I run the 509/511 lift in our 74 360, sweet. I actually gained an average of 12 psi/ cylinder switcing from the old MP 484 to this Comp Cam

What heads are on the car and valve size? Any work done to them?

Your current cam is capable of 350 HP with bolt on's and a reasonable compresion ratio.

*Side note, Comp Cams extreme energy cams in the HL design take full advantage of the .904 diameter lifter. The regular extreme cams do not.
DGC has a excellent build IMO and worth a copy.

I'm no fan of MP. But...if the price is right, the 268/272 cam would be able to do what you want, and the 284/484 can be sold pretty easy. If they are both brand new in the boxes. If money isnt a big deal, or either of those cams are used, I would upgrade to something designed in the late 90s or 2000s. MP hasnt come up with a new cam design for Bs or LAs since about 1984.

1974 360...j heads 1.88 and 1.6 no work yet but i will have the heads bowl ported and have the valves back cut when i bring it into the machine shop. also putting in kb107s. have edelbrock rpm air gap. 650 holley vac secondary. hedman tight tubes, msd ignition (when i get the cash) one of the cams is $50 and has about 2000 miles on it. and the other is $60 and just ran though the engine break in. if it is worth the money to buy a different cam let me know the part no. i want the engine done right. and its not really a bid deal to sell the one i got. but remember it is a street engine/ occasional strip. Thanks for all of your help guys.

it seems most people around here like the comp cams. i havnt heard many people say much about crane or MP cams

Well, I do like the comp cams, but I have also used Crane and MP cams without problem and I have not been disapointed in there performances.
The thing with an MP cam is there single pattern cams. I have not used one of those in a long time. The exception was the MP short block that came with the 292/.509 cam.

I'm currently useing a Crane cam in my 318. 216/228-.454/.480 on a 112. It is not much different than a Comp cam of the smae spec. The extreme XE262H rated at 218/224-.462/.470 on a 110.
The Crane idles a bit smoother and quiter while the extra duration spread is very good for bone stock heads. The exhaust ports on the S/B heads are not very good and the extra duration helps offset that. The Comp has less of a spread and works better with ported heads vs. the Crane. But there very very close.

Now before everybody jumps up and down on the comps advantage on the .904 lifter diameter, your wrong and heres why. It says right in the comp catolog, (Go get one and read it sometime) that the HL exteme cams take advantage of the .904 lifter at it's max. Not the Extreme, the Extreme HL.

The MP single pattern cams are fine to use. They just work best with seriously ported heads. (Read race! EAT the prisoners first, take DNA later if your interested.)

If your doing this on the cheap, then IMO, don't cheap out on the cam. Ethier split MP cam would do the job at hand. I'd prefur the updated 340 cam. (.450-.455 lift)
However, since everything else is new or refurbished in the engine, an example of a cam I would use with pocket ported heads would be the XE268 for the possible everyday driver and respecable torque and HP combo or the XE274 for more of a street stripper. This cam would require a stall converter to let it shine.

The Comp Cams are examples. You could use anybodys.

Specs of the cams look like this;

XE268 224-230-.477/.480
XE274 230-236-.488/.491.........(My choice for 400+ HP)

You can use these @ .050 duration specs to look at other cams from various manufacures. If the duration is 6* or more, then theres a slight change in the powerband and the cams are not exactly comparable on paper and will perform differently for sure. In all honesty, even the same @ .050 specs can have drastic changes in an engine. Just make sure your looking at general performance/street cams when doing this. An oval track cam vs a Drag race cam vs. a street cam vs stock eliminator cam will have seriously wild different outcomes on a dyno and when the wrong cam is in the street arena, poor everything will happen. Including a foul mouth. :toothy7:

I know it is a dinasour..but that 268/272, .450/.455 is a sweet street cam for a mild build. Has a very slight lope to it too. Was really good in low compression 340, so would be wonderful in 360 street motor. It cheap enough. Use it if you have one. Good luck, Terry.

headsbikesmopars said:
I know it is a dinasour..but that 268/272, .450/.455 is a sweet street cam for a mild build. Has a very slight lope to it too. Was really good in low compression 340, so would be wonderful in 360 street motor. It cheap enough. Use it if you have one. Good luck, Terry.
I agree - if the price is right - its a goos street cam with a bit of lump to it at idle.

Used cam = waste of money...unless you personally know the engine it just went in and came out of.

Moper and 408, I agree that it is better to 'know' the history of the 'used' cam..I must respectfully disagree that used is a 'waste' of money. I have used many 'used' one's over the years. If the cam was properly broken in and you put the lifters on the same lobes you are good to go. If you don't know the history and/or you can't put the lifters in the correct bore/lobe then it is a different issue altogether. Nothing wrong with 'used' as long as it is in good condition..if in doubt..measure. Works for me. Terry.

That's basically what I meant Terry. No disagreement at all. But someone I never met, handing me a box saying "dont worry, they're all in order", immediately sends up a flag. That's all I meant. The safe bet should the used cam look good is buy new lifters. But now your 1/3 of the way to a better cam (IMO anyway) plus the cost of the used setup. So at what point does one decide to go new? That's an individual's choice.

Hughes Cams takes avantage of the .904 lifter. I have used their cams in two 440's with great results. I just ordered one for my 360, I'll let you guys know how it works in a couple of weeks. They seem to have alot of knowledge on the Mopar stuff.

headsbikesmopars said:
Moper and 408, I agree that it is better to 'know' the history of the 'used' cam..I must respectfully disagree that used is a 'waste' of money. I have used many 'used' one's over the years. If the cam was properly broken in and you put the lifters on the same lobes you are good to go. If you don't know the history and/or you can't put the lifters in the correct bore/lobe then it is a different issue altogether. Nothing wrong with 'used' as long as it is in good condition..if in doubt..measure. Works for me. Terry.
I have a "used" roller cam and lifters from my 360/380 crate motor. The motor has less than 200 miles on it. I'm selling the heads, crank cam and lifters. The motor was in perfect shape. I thought I blew it up because a knocking sound was coming from the engine. Turns out it was two converter bolts came loose and causing the knocking. Anyway, I'm stroking the motor with aluminum heads, so if anyone is interested in alsmost new pistons, rods, crank, heads and cam and lifters give me a P.M.

1qwikScamp said:
i am wanting a roller cam for my 360LA where would be the best place to look and what brand

What kind of roller? Hydraulic, or solid? 69 has a setup apparently..lol. I dont know if they are LA or Magnum tho. I'd bet he does...lol.

There are much better sb cams than the mopar performance cams. The MP cams are old designs and cam design has progressed.

One of the Comp Extreme Engergy or Lunati Voodo cams would be a much better choice. Their fast ramp design makes much more low end power without sacrificing much on top.

I have a Comp XE268H (.224/[email protected] .477/.480) cam in my 360 and it is producing approximately 370 HP (based on 13.7 @ 102 1/4 mile best) with a smallish 600cfm carb. The engine pulls hard from 1500 rpm to 6500 rpm.
3200 lb A body with 300 hp at rear wheels ,half decent reat tires decent 727 2500 verter should run low 13s according to my calculations:read2:

for a street ride I side with you on the lunati split lobe hyds. exc choice.

My dad has a crower .485/.495 and loves it! Tons of torque and some up top power. I am not impressed with the comp .488/.491.

-
Back