Cam shaft bearing alignment??

-

Jims71duster

Reaction score
I have a 383 that I got rebuilt at a machine shop,,short version,,I wiped out the cam but I am now putting it back together and noticed that the rear oil hole for the cam bearing only has about 1/16 of the oil hole lined up with the cam bearing hole and another one only has about half the hole lined up, should I send it back to get the bearings redone? I do need to go there anyway as the new conecting rod bearings they sold me don't have a oiling hole for any of the odd numbered cylinders,, This the rebuild from hell!!!! edited,,,I added some pics in a reply below

I would take it back, you dont need to wipe out another bearing or two!!! I would make them fix it right and dont let them tell you they because the can.

I think someone posted on the rod bearings. It's not a bog deal if they dont have the oiling holes. Some manufacturers dont make them that way anymore. on the cam bearings, it isnt the gearings' fault. I always modify the bearings to help with the hole alignement. It's the holes in the block that are off, and it's common. I use a carbide burr to taper the back of the bearing so the oil can still get to the hole. (Think like a countersunk screw hole) You dont want to touch the bearing surface at all, just the backing.

I think someone posted on the rod bearings. It's not a bog deal if they dont have the oiling holes. Some manufacturers dont make them that way anymore. on the cam bearings, it isnt the gearings' fault. I always modify the bearings to help with the hole alignement. It's the holes in the block that are off, and it's common. I use a carbide burr to taper the back of the bearing so the oil can still get to the hole. (Think like a countersunk screw hole) You dont want to touch the bearing surface at all, just the backing.

but,,if you do it why would'nt a machine shop,,,how do I fix it now that the bearings are installed?

here are the worst of the bunch,,,none of these are the one with the 3 holes,,its the only one thats in perfect. What do ya think,,am I worrying over nothing???

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

hi get them replaced correctly. they didn't line them up right. other wise drill out hole. have to use a long drill bit and drill from the mains to cam bores.
also, the newer rod bearings don't have oil hole at parting lines. I always mark a line on cam bearings to line up with hole so they go in correctly.

I do it, but I do a bunch of things most shops say isnt necessary... It's just a case of soemone not focussing too much on their chosen career. Too much of that hole is blocked. The bearings cannot be re-used, as the crush is way reduced when they get intalled and removed. Both Durabond and Federal Mogul have that issue in at least one bore every time.

The wife took it back to crossfield and they changed out the bearings at no cost while she waited. They are perfect now but it does make a guy wonder if they do all their short blockes like that???? I had 4 real tight wrist pins that they had to redo as well. Both things that I would not have caught if I never wiped out my cam ( Actually terry, demonseed, caught the wrist pins)

-
Back