Cam shaft Time

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Stock 360 2500 stall with 323 gear.RPM performer Edelbrock 650 Holley re-curved dizzy,stock 340 exhaust manifolds.What to you guys think about the XE256,or the XE262, comp cams.Let me have it.thanks the first 1 is close to stock and the second one is a little milder.

Given those two choices and the info you provided I would use the XE262 without question.

you can even bump it up to the XE268 with that higher stall and those gears

when comp cams claims you need an "adjustable valvetrain" they are referring to their hydraulic lifters

OK but do i have to use adjustable rockers,or can i get away with the factory rockers.

Only if you buy the optional anti pump up lifters or if the heads have been milled a bunch.

you can even bump it up to the XE268 with that higher stall and those gears

when comp cams claims you need an "adjustable valvetrain" they are referring to their hydraulic lifters

Agreed.

I just broke my cam in, I have the xe256 with a 360 bottom end and 318 heads. It still needs tuning but it pulls great. I only have a 2.76 rear gear and I roasted the one legger leaving the gas station for the first time this week. I still need to replace my valve springs. If you have bigger heads I would go for the xe268. If you are looking at the xe256 over the xe262 the xe256 makes more usable torque down low comparably but will run out of steam around 5,000. I figure because I had the smaller valves that the XE256 would be about perfect.

I just broke my cam in, I have the xe256 with a 360 bottom end and 318 heads. It still needs tuning but it pulls great. I only have a 2.76 rear gear and I roasted the one legger leaving the gas station for the first time this week. I still need to replace my valve springs. If you have bigger heads I would go for the xe268. If you are looking at the xe256 over the xe262 the xe256 makes more usable torque down low comparably but will run out of steam around 5,000. I figure because I had the smaller valves that the XE256 would be about perfect.
Going with stock 188 360 heads.

I have the 256 in a 318 and it is perfect. I would definitely go 262 for the extra cubes and not the 268 with 1.88 valves. Check your retainer to stem clearance, to be sure for lift.

everybody's first response is bigger cam.I have used the xe268 in a 9.5:1 340 with 3.23 gears and despite what comp say i think it needs a converter.
From midrange up the power in that 340 seemed limitless and with a 9 1/2 converter stalling at 3200 it was very quick.
for a lo compression 360,big 275 rear tires and a 323 i think most find out the hard way that smaller cams are best.
as for which is better between the 256 and 262c...good question.

everybody's first response is bigger cam.I have used the xe268 in a 9.5:1 340 with 3.23 gears and despite what comp say i think it needs a converter.

I agree, I run one in my teen with 3.55's out back, and it could use a converter for sure.

Comp says stock will work, and it does, but would perform better with a better converter.

From midrange up the power in that 340 seemed limitless and with a 9 1/2 converter stalling at 3200 it was very quick.
for a lo compression 360,big 275 rear tires and a 323 i think most find out the hard way that smaller cams are best.
as for which is better between the 256 and 262c...good question.

I agree that the XE268 needs a higher stall speed but a 2500 stall would work ok. It would be better with the XE262 cam. A 360 with the smaller XE256 cam runs out of power by 5000rpm or at least mine did. The same engine with a XE262 cam pulled nice from 2500-5500rpm I had a 2200 stall though. I swapped it for a 2800 stall and all was good. This is why I recommended the XE262 instead of the XE256. He could use the XE268 but it won't start to pull as hard right off of the converter but it should be tolerable with street tires.

The best choice in my experience would be the XE262. If it was a 318 I'd recommend the XE256 for sure.

The longer stroke of the 360 and the 340's bore size makes the difference. I just recently replaced a stock cam in a low mileage '73 340 that has 3.23 gears with a XE262, the owner was impressed. It run great, lost nothing on top and gained some low end power at the same time. It's a stick car that just goes to shows and Sunday rides.

google those three cams and you can get comp's own dyno numbers for all 3
there is very little difference.The 256,262 are flat to 5500 and the hp and torque
are nearly identical and both seem stronger than the 268 up to 5500.

YA I am not going to push past 5 grand now the 1/4 mile fun is not in my plans,at least not for now.Good reading tho.

I forgot to mention early that my 360/xe256 is at 17-19 of vacuum. Which is great if you running vacuum accessories such as powered brakes. I believe you cant really go wrong with either of the two its going to run great either way. Simply because its not over cammed. You'd be running within the recommended gear ratio and stall speed. Grab that xe262 and get the extra RPM's out of it. That xe268 that i recommended early is in that gray area of almost being a little extreme for a stock motor possibly requiring more stall and gearing.

YA I am not going to push past 5 grand now the 1/4 mile fun is not in my plans,at least not for now.Good reading tho.

In that case either one should work fine. The XE256 has a real smooth idle, the XE262 has a slight bump to it. The rpm for each cam I listed were shift points that were slightly past peak power.

My 360 with 318 heads will also get the XE256 cam, but I'll be using 1.6 rockers as well.
The setup will get full length Dougs headers with X-pipe.

My reasoning was the car is a dailydriver so doesn't really 'need' a larger cam.

If this is true then pick the smaller cam or even the next one smaller than that. The reason is the automatic, and the 3.23s. With these; 5000 will be about 50mph in first. And from a performance standpoint, the auto will want to be shifted about 800rpm after the power peak so, in your case the power peak would need to be at about 4200. Neither of these cams offered will peak that low.So you are trading away off-the-line torque, for power past 5000 that you are never/rarely gonna use.And since you are sticking with 360 manifolds, again the power potential up there is somewhat lacking.
But, if you choose a cam with too-early an ICA,(a too-small cam) then you might run into detonation issues, with a too-high Dcr
So this may be one of those cases where a thumper type cam may work. One with enough advertised duration to keep the Dcr in a reasonable range, yet have a low enough 050 to build the torque you are after.
What this all boils down to, is; what is your calculated compression ratio?

Between those two, leave the stock one in it.

Neither one of those..heres one Lunati 10200702 .475/.494 lift may need to change springs you've already got a 2500 converter,a set of 3.91's would really wake it up..,

Neither one of those..heres one Lunati 10200702 .475/.494 lift may need to change springs you've already got a 2500 converter,a set of 3.91's would really wake it up..,

that Lunati ..702 has less duration than the comp xe262 but more lift.
...they are both more modern fast ramp cams, wonder how they compare?
..anyone using the Voodoo ...702 in a small block?

Why would he want a wider LSA cam that closes the intake later on a stock low compression 360 driver that has small valve un-ported heads that stall out flow before that cam reaches those lift levels when his engine won't see over 5000rpm or the 1/4 mile with a 3.91 gear which will cause it to suck a bunch of extra fuel. It sounds more like he wants a driver that's won't rev high, gets decent fuel economy and has slightly more power then stock. Sometimes it's important to keep the cars intended use in mind. And yes I know he could advance the cam to get the ICA back to the same point...

Now a Lunati 10200701 would be a nice choice even better if he could get it ground on a 110 LSA considering his intended goals he posted and the rest of the parts he has. He didn't ask about Lunati cams just which Comp would we recommend either the XE256 or XE262. Since you chose a 262 cam he should probably just add a check mark by the XE262 to count as your vote.

Not everyone wants what you would want.

Of course the end choice is his though.

And yes I know I just rattled your chain so feel free to pitch a ***** if you would like.

that Lunati ..702 has less duration than the comp xe262 but more lift.
...they are both more modern fast ramp cams, wonder how they compare?
..anyone using the Voodoo ...702 in a small block?

They are both 262 duration cams, the 702 has faster ramps more duration at .050", higher lift, a wider 112 LSA instead of a 110 LSA which will reduce DCR slightly and either will most likely want to rev higher then the 5k the OP plans on spinning the engine. His SCR is probably 8.0 if he's lucky besides.

They are both 262 duration cams, the 702 has faster ramps more duration at .050", higher lift, a wider 112 LSA instead of a 110 LSA which will reduce DCR slightly and either will most likely want to rev higher then the 5k the OP plans on spinning the engine. His SCR is probably 8.0 if he's lucky besides.

good info...tx
..how does a later closing intake valve reduce DC?

Last edited:
-
Back