Cam shaft Time

-
Between those two, leave the stock one in it.

IIRC, the stocker is 252* intake. I don't remember the rest of the spec
but here's how a 252 plays out;in at 110,the ICA is 56*. and
at an Scr of 8.4, the Dcr will come in around 7.14/138psi, and
at an Scr of 8.0, the Dcr comes in at 6.8/129psi
I wouldn't touch the stock cam. Except to spring it up to 5500.If you want a little giddy-up, I would gear it up to 3.55s instead of camming it. You already have the right cam.You just need to wring it out a little, and the 3.55s will give it real first-gear boost.The 3.55s will get you 50mph @ 5500, same as before;just a whole bunch quicker.

Last edited:
If you look at Comps Xe line the lowest one is xe250h is about equal if not slightly warmer than a stock 340 cam so a XE262H would be 2 steps up. My vote would be the XE262H or similar from another brand.

I went with the 701 Voodoo ,going to stick with factory convertor,thanksssssssssss for all the help.
That should be a great cam for performance a little high on the lift for a stocker but I'm no expert I've been told to stay around 450ish for basic performance. Let's us know how she rips when you get r done include a sound byte rumbling Good luck!

That should be a great cam for performance a little high on the lift for a stocker but I'm no expert I've been told to stay around 450ish for basic performance. Let's us know how she rips when you get r done include a sound byte rumbling Good luck!
Well I just got a price 300 Canadian,too much money.Search goes on.

I don't recall the Canadian border agents ever asking me if I had any camshafts to declare.... sounds like a border run is in order LOL

No run for me,that 2 hour trip to get the RPM intake was enough lol.
Take a look at the summit brand cams 6400 or 6401 decent cams for under a hundred bucks. Plenty of reviews say that there decent cams for the price. You can't really beat them on a budget. I would go with a quality lifter though. Not such great reviews on the lifters.

IIRC, the stocker is 252* intake. I don't remember the rest of the spec
but here's how a 252 plays out;in at 110,the ICA is 56*. and
at an Scr of 8.4, the Dcr will come in around 7.14/138psi, and
at an Scr of 8.0, the Dcr comes in at 6.8/129psi
I wouldn't touch the stock cam. Except to spring it up to 5500.If you want a little giddy-up, I would gear it up to 3.55s instead of camming it. You already have the right cam.You just need to wring it out a little, and the 3.55s will give it real first-gear boost.The 3.55s will get you 50mph @ 5500, same as before;just a whole bunch quicker.
Well he makes sence,so for now the big cam is off my thoughts .Thanks for all the help,staying with stock convertor 276 gear.

comp 262,they give a small amount of lube,but would like more to realy get things lube up.What can i use, would like some to do outer assembly work.

20160911_124417.jpg

I have used these two products in two different engines with great success so far. Available at any of the auto parts stores.

Between those two, leave the stock one in it.

Rusty are you talking his stock 2 barrel cam....410 / .412 252 / 256 or
a stock 340 / 360 4bbl. cam? .430 / .444? 268 / 276
...i bet most would love the stock 340 cam in lo comp sm blk builds

Cough cough cough

Head flow over compression for power. ;)

i'm sure it'll work good in your engine Don but don't count on duplicating
magazine numbers...
Magazines dont lie to us lol,ya I know it was on the dyno and such,not rear wheels,it seamed that the 262 got more thumbs up.

Rusty are you talking his stock 2 barrel cam....410 / .412 252 / 256 or
a stock 340 / 360 4bbl. cam? .430 / .444? 268 / 276
...i bet most would love the stock 340 cam in lo comp sm blk builds

I was talking about the stock 2 barrel POS. yeah the 340 cam is a goodun.

OK gents the cam ,timing chain are in, do i install the Distributor shaft gear in now or after it gets degree.

OK gents the cam ,timing chain are in, do i install the Distributor shaft gear in now or after it gets degree.

It doesn't matter.

May as well do it now and get it out of the way...

comp 262,they give a small amount of lube,but would like more to realy get things lube up.What can i use, would like some to do outer assembly work.

I noticed that with our cam also... I went and bought another 2.5 oz packet at O'reilly's...

If you are doing the build on an engine stand don't install it if you'll need to turn the engine upside down. I could very well fall out if you did.

If you are doing the build on an engine stand don't install it if you'll need to turn the engine upside down. I could very well fall out if you did.

I install the distributor and clamp to keep them from falling out on the stand... Just finger tight to keep it in...

-
Back