Cam thrust plate bolts

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I am installing a new cam and heads onto my 340 and noticed that my cam thrust plate does not have a oil dripper OR the special bolt with the hole in it. Is this ok?

I didn't put the motor together, a machine shop did sometime ago. It doesn't have but maybe 500 miles on it. I just decided to take a different approach with the car. Pics of how it looked when timing cover was removed.

IMG_20220402_191341417.jpg

IMG_20220402_191719717.jpg

IMG_20220402_191722997.jpg

I am installing a new cam and heads onto my 340 and noticed that my cam thrust plate does not have a oil dripper OR the special bolt with the hole in it. Is this ok?

I didn't put the motor together, a machine shop did sometime ago. It doesn't have but maybe 500 miles on it. I just decided to take a different approach with the car. Pics of how it looked when timing cover was removed.

View attachment 1715900558

View attachment 1715900559

View attachment 1715900560
Chain looks good, I've always heard that the bolt with a hole in it helps oil the timing chain.

Original 340's I've had used the hollow bolt in the upper LH corner when looking at from the front like in your picture. Plenty of engines ran with neither. If I had it apart, I'd add it.

The bolt with the hole, the drip tray, the crank slinger all do nothing. You are wasting your time.

If you want oil on the TC and gears, drill a small hole in the cam retaining plate where it covers the oil gallery on the passenger side and send it.

The rest of that junk is just that. Junk.

The bolt with the hole, the drip tray, the crank slinger all do nothing. You are wasting your time.

If you want oil on the TC and gears, drill a small hole in the cam retaining plate where it covers the oil gallery on the passenger side and send it.

The rest of that junk is just that. Junk.

At the end of the day a 340 with 100,000 hard miles the timing chain would still be within spec using the "junk" bolt.

plumkrazee70
You can drill a hole in one those bolts real EZ, if you have drill press. I have drilled a few, not hard at all, use a 1/8th drill bit, and center punch the bolt good. Deburr both ends of bolt when done.
You can probably pick up a drip tab in the "parts wanted forum".

Dave

I always wondered, based on where the hole in the bolt accesses the valley, how any oil that might eventually drool out of the hole in the bolt....... actually gets onto the chain?
It’s not like oil will be spraying out of that hole.

I always wondered, based on where the hole in the bolt accesses the valley, how any oil that might eventually drool out of the hole in the bolt....... actually gets onto the chain?

Exactly. It does nothing.

The hole in the bolt is at the VERy low point at the front of the valley, right below that 3/4" hole into the valley .

As it sits in the car, the engine is tilted to the rear....... so oil will have run up hill to come out of that hole.

Maybe it’ll drool a little extra if you’re going down hill and hit the brakes hard.

I have the bolts with the hole in them. I had my son make a bunch in the lathe a while back out of grade 8 bolts. PM me your address and I'll mail you one.

If you would like oil to chain you would need to find this type of thrust plate. The dark areas are recessed as you can tell in the pictures one gallery leads right to the lower sprocket.

p5249637_hb-300.jpg

-
Back