Cam timing vs distributor timing

-

KenZ

Reaction score
Would a cam installed retarded cause the need for excessive initial distributor advance?

We recently fired the 318 in our Duster for the first time. We got it running pretty good and broke in the cam. Now we're getting down to setting everything up. Using the vaccuum method of setting distributor advance, we need to go to 30 degrees initial to get a smooth idle at 900rpm. Anything less and the car will die when put into gear. That seems like way too much initial to me, but maybe not?

We have a Mopar Performance distributor, Summit "small" cam and an Edelbrock 600 carb on an otherwise stock rebuilt 318.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Thanks,
Ken

Initial should be 10-12 max and around 34 total. All in around 2500.

Initial should be 10-12 max and around 34 total. All in around 2500.

That's what I thought, s there's something wrong. The car will idle, roughly though, at 15-17 initial but then dies as soon as you put it in gear.

Have you verified you balancer marks with TDC?

Have you verified you balancer marks with TDC?

Yes. When we installed the cam we verified TDC and degreed it. It was 2 degrees retarded so we added a 2 degree offset key. We double checked it but I guess it's possible that we installed in backwards. That's why I asked if a retarded cam could cause this.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Ken

-
Back