Cam up my 318, help me chose!

-
+1 on tuning what you have, gears are a good idea but I'd get the carb & ignition squared away before trying to increase power.

If your running on the street I would definitely go for a 3.23 gear. Your in middle ground there. I am running 3.55 gears with a 26 inch tire and I'm not very happy with the high rpm on the interstate. But if you drive highway or in the city 3.55 might be liveable. I'm going to a four speed with 2.76 rear gears for interstate cruising at 70. As I drive a lot on the interstate.

I Get what your saying 318willrun that people should dial in setup before moving on with part swaps, lot of times people are dissatisfied with there combo and many times it's a poorly setup carb timing etc....

Secondly I don't think he could find a cam that will increase bottom end but I think he could move up a couple of steps with little to no loss in bottom end and gain a lot more top end and hp. But not the cams he was thinking. Gears is one of your main weak spots especially if you try a more aggressive cam swap.

Your car is way out of tune, or engine is really tired= worn out.

Mine stock 72 duster with stock 318, 904 trans and 2,7 gears was about 9 sec 0-100km/h (0-60mp/h).

That was with stock 2bbr carb.

Check ingnition, timing, and if you have compression gauge, do compression test.

If engine is ok shape best upgrade would be gears, I swapped 3.2 and it really waked car up. I wanted still get good highway cruising so thats why just 3.2.

After that its engine rebuild with more compression so you can run bigger cam, dont go too big, I have 9.5compr now and second smallest lunati voodoo cam, still good low end.
When i measured compression it was about 155psi cylinders dry.

-
Back