Cam???

-

Mopar Sam

Well Fed Member
Reaction score
OK, I have what was supposed to be an unused 380hp crate motor Hyd Roller cam in the shop. I was thinking about putting it in a No Buck motor, so I stuck it in V blocks and measured the lobe lift with a dial indicator. It only has .305 IN and .310 EX lobe lift, which would be about .458 IN and .465 EX with 1.5 rockers. This is a long snout Billet cam with an Iron gear pressed on.

Any Ideas on what cam this is? (bear in mind I had left my reading glasses in the house, so I could be a couple thousands off)

If i have to, I can slide it in a block and measure it later this week, Thanks for any Info.

there is usually a part number on those camshafts....as I have two and neither one comes up to the .501/,513 lift...

Had them in a short block and used a dial indicator on them..

there is usually a part number on those camshafts....as I have two and neither one comes up to the .501/,513 lift...

Had them in a short block and used a dial indicator on them..

I looked, before I posted, and there are some faint markings, but could even be scratches. Do you know what lift yours were? With 1.6s mine would be .488/.496

Did yours have a pressed on gear?

I really need to stick it in a block to measure the @.050

OK, I have what was supposed to be an unused 380hp crate motor Hyd Roller cam in the shop. I was thinking about putting it in a No Buck motor, so I stuck it in V blocks and measured the lobe lift with a dial indicator. It only has .305 IN and .310 EX lobe lift, which would be about .458 IN and .465 EX with 1.5 rockers. This is a long snout Billet cam with an Iron gear pressed on.

Any Ideas on what cam this is? (bear in mind I had left my reading glasses in the house, so I could be a couple thousands off)

If i have to, I can slide it in a block and measure it later this week, Thanks for any Info.
Didn't the 380 crate have 1.6 rockers?? I don't know... somebody help me

Sounds like a MP upgrade cam. Perhaps the “R/T” cam?
IDK

Went out to shut up the chicken house, so I walked to the shop with my readers. There are markings on the cam. It looks like UJ1386

If I take my lobe lift times 1.65, I get real close to the 380 cam specs. I remember my son Matts magnum rockers had a little more ratio than 1.6.

20200816_202802.jpg

20200816_202222.jpg

The cam came in an MP box wrapped in sealed plastic... with the 380 cam part #

Maybe it is what its supposed to be. I will check duration sometime this week.

I hate to say what it is going in, there is enough drama on here right now as it is...

I am going to have to beef up the table legs to hold all the power I will be leaving on it.

I went back to my build thread of Matt's 360 and his stock magnum rockers averaged 1.64 ratio. His .560 lift cam (.350 lobe lift) was .574 at the retainer. That was with the actual valve springs on the head. With light weight checking springs it was more, around .600

Regrind it or get a new one.

NO $$$ motor, not low dollar, no dollar. Using what I have lying around.

It is freshened stock shortblock that I got stuck with, Did it for a friend who sold the vehicle and so he never picked it up. Told me to keep it, which was nice of him since I had my money in the parts! Any how I sold the mild comp cam, the Magnum heads with springs for the cam etc. to get some of the money back. It has been sitting on a stand for a couple of years now.
I even square decked it, pistons are .025 in the hole. I also balanced it for him. Just a stock low compression motor though. A 318 Magnum.

Was going to put a nice set of j heads on it that I did a long time ago. 2.02, 1.6 mildly ported by me 65cc chambers that I may take a little more off of. They have some miles on them, but I will do a quick valve job.

It is what it is, just something to mess with until I get a little more $$$ to finish my 414.

If you’re getting the degree wheel out.......
Might as well get the .006” duration numbers, as well as figure out the lsa...... to go along with the @.050” duration.

Also, didn’t Mopar offer LA crate motors in the 90’s?

Last edited:

Those were measured with 1.6 rockers.

Those were measured with 1.6 rockers.

Sorry for the confusion, The lift I quoted there was if I had 1.5 rockers, based on the measured lobe lift. I know the cam was designed for Magnum rockers, But I plan on J heads with 1.5s.

If you’re getting the degree wheel out.......
Might as well get the .006” duration numbers, as well as figure out the lsa...... to go along with the @.050” duration.

Also, didn’t Mopar offer LA crate motors in the 90’s?

Ok, The @ .050 comes out right. 230 IN 234 EX. The lobe lift was .305/ .313 measuring lifter rise with no heads on the block. Lobe sep. came in at 107.5 on my OLD degree wheel, right at the supposed 108 of the crate cam.

PHR, I can get the @ .006 #s later. The late 80s/early 90s crate cam was the 284/484/108 Hyd flat tappet.

I wonder if MP spec'd the lift #s for 1.64 rockers? That would make since with the lobe lift I am reading.

I know that myself and others have measured lift at the retainer as being more than the 1.6 x lobe lift with stock magnum rockers with different cams.

.006#s match the crate cam, 288/292.
I am going to say that this is what it was claimed to be.

Mopar MUST have rated this cam for a 1.64 or 1.65 rocker ratio. I am considering my results as well as what 70aarcuda said in post# 2.

Thanks for all the help.

At least we know the “advertised” 288/292 numbers aren’t taken at some erroneous oddball lift number.

unless they changed measures off the blueprinywhere thecleaence famp meets rhe acceleration ramp then subtract 4 degrees from each ramp
about .008 that's where the timing and overlap in the fsm comes from
great to compare factory with direct connection/ mp cams
worthless for much else

The two I have ...got the Part number on them........Also have one of the R/T roller cams too....If was not so dam hot I would run them thru a dial indicator again since i have a bare block ....

-
Back