Camo Paint?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I'm planning on painting my pop-up in a 3 or 4 color camo scheme. It's now a hideous wierd faded pink color now that I can only guess was popular in 1967 and that's got to go. The camper itself is made of aluminum so no rust issues.

Anyone have any tips or tricks in regards to doing camo paint? This is pretty much the pattern I'd like to end up with:

Attachments

• woodland_camo.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 226
just have fun with some green, black, brown, and tan spray paint, I start by painting everything thing tan, then I alternate with green and brown, and finish up with black, just make random looking blotchy blobs of color

just have fun with some green, black, brown, and tan spray paint, I start by painting everything thing tan, then I alternate with green and brown, and finish up with black, just make random looking blotchy blobs of color

Thanks caferacerx, it doesn't have to be perfect, just not pink, lol. What did you use for masking or did you mask at all?

Just don't get too drunk in the woods, you might not find it. LOL

:sign5: That's what the dogs are for, they'll lead me back to food....

You do understand that if the thing ever gets hit the jokes will never end, yes? :)

:toothy6: Understood.

nope dont mask anything that gets painted, just paint it, (mask windows and tail lights of course) you start with light colors and finish with dark because dark colors cover light ones better, let it dry between coats so it doesnt run,

nope dont mask anything that gets painted, just paint it, (mask windows and tail lights of course) you start with light colors and finish with dark because dark colors cover light ones better, let it dry between coats so it doesnt run,

Excellent! Sounds like something even I can figure out. :pirat: :rambo:

Ram, one thing you could do is paint the base tan and then cut out some patterns in thin cardboard. You can change the shape of them on the vehicle by just adding to what was already laid down.

Patterns, they will help. Cutting out about 5-7 patterns or stencils I guess you could say, will give a nice look. That will give the look of crisp lines between the different colors, rather than an overspray line. The patterns could even be just halves, and mix the different ones together to keep from having duplicate patterns.

a buddy of mines dad painted his ramcharger camo...came out pretty good

I'm planning on painting my pop-up in a 3 or 4 color camo scheme. It's now a hideous wierd faded pink color now that I can only guess was popular in 1967 and that's got to go. The camper itself is made of aluminum so no rust issues.

Anyone have any tips or tricks in regards to doing camo paint? This is pretty much the pattern I'd like to end up with:

Army surplus store;
They have some olive drab (oil based) in gallons, cheap, that puts on a coating that a stone can't chip, LOL!
Applies with regular house paint roller and brush, or thin WAY DOWN to spray, use a primer gun.
Then, hit up walley world for spray bombs in flat color primers or others you like and go crazy with the light tan 1st on top of the olive drab, then go to the black last as "drop shadow effects of the tan with additional portions overlapping.

Yes, I have done it before to seal up bodywork for a winter driver untill I could start again on body work in the spring!!

LOL!:thumblef:

You can also use weird shades of bright and darker greens only on top of olive drab too for different effects.
Also can use "stencils" of palm tree leaves, regular leaves, small bamboo limbs, etc to use as stencils to overspray the black on top of the olive drab and tan for a really cool jungle effect.

Use solid brown, then streak the black paint with sponge or rag or 3m pad in a direction of choosing adding some knots here and there and it will look like a big piece of wood!

Don't hold back, just go medievel on it's ***, LMAO!!!:happy6:

You do understand that if the thing ever gets hit the jokes will never end, yes? :)

I remember an older stand up comedian doing a camo joke. Something like this...

Why do people think if you wear camo clothes the dear can't see you. If a dear was standing in your living room wearing a picture of a lamp do you think you'd notice? lol

When you do the camo, you need to keep in mind 1) no color break on a body line, 2) patches need to be the right size.
On a pickup the patches should be about the size of 2 spread out hands.

A friend of mine did this for me with 15 bucks worth of spay cans from Big Lots and Walmart. No masking sraped the over spray off the windows with single edged razor blades. Cost me two Tweleve packs of Budweiser!

I have dun many, I use oak, maple and others leafs and even a stick or two, and at the bottom I would use long blades of grass.
Start out with light and dark green and the grab a branch with leafs on it hold it against the area and hit the leafs and stick with flat black just to get the out line of the leafs and grasses
High light area's with just a touch (and I mean just a hint touch of orange)
I have been known to even paint in the shape of a rock I cut out of cardboard.
It's fun and creative :happy10: Do a test on a peace of cardboard to get the look you want
I did a boat for a customer and hid duck heads on his boat along with the method I just showed you and he thought it was sooo cool .
Enjoy :iconbigg: I always did :happy10:

Hey Joe, do it in various shades of pink and you can build on what's already there. Sure to be a conversation starter wherever you go camping! lol

:worthles:
:cool:

My daughter has a pair of pink camo pants.. it'd look great on your camper lol..

Grant

First pic is why it's getting painted camo. What a hassel getting it plated and title transfered. Another long story.

Second pic is the headliner I'm putting in the Jeep to match the trailer when it's done. I bought the material and adhesive today.

Maybe I am insane.....

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 90
:) I think matching jeep and trailer is an awesome idea! :) lookin good cant wait to see the progress.

:) I think matching jeep and trailer is an awesome idea! :) lookin good cant wait to see the progress.

Thanks Bro. I was never in the Military but my Dad served in the Pacific Theatre as a boots to the ground Marine in WWII and made three beacheads only to survive and have ten kids of which I'm the last at 45.

Not only did he have a Jeep, (Commanche) but also used to buy me camo shirts when I was a teen. I think he'd really get a kick out of this color scheme, no joke. :salut:

Anyways, I'm glad you are following along and "Thank You" for your service. I'm sure that you probably already know that at least 99.99% of us appreciate what you are doing to keep us all safe here at home. :salut:

Ramcharger(camo) Joe

PS, the other .01% can go pound sand :)

My daughter has a pair of pink camo pants.. it'd look great on your camper lol..

Grant

Grant, that actually sounded really bad.... and it opened up a bunch of comments I will never go too. :-$

:glasses2::glasses2:

BTW, I will never forget that "sketch" of the headliner you sent to me years ago, nor the resulting conversation.... My God, I think of that and I dam near fell off my shop stool laughing. :thumrigh:

-
Back