Camshaft Experts

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
Looking for cam recommendation for my 440.

Currently it is a 440 .030 over, flat tops, 345cfm eddy rpm heads, 2.20 / 1.81 valves, 84cc chambers, victor intake with a 1050cfm 4150 carb

Current cam is [email protected], .650, 112LSA Solid Roller comp cam

Engine currently makes 602@5900 / 575ft@4500

You think a 4150 flange is good for all that?
It's worked fine for years, so is it good, yes. Would a 4500 be better, idk. This is the combo Jim Laroy put together for me. I don't remember our conversations regarding carburetor choices.

For a 99% street car, I'm unsure what would be better on this combo, never rana dominator on anything.

What are your thoughts Rusty?

What’s your compression ratio. Also, if you could change cams would you want the torque and power peaks at the same rpm or would you want to move them higher or lower?

I can run some math and give you some numbers. Of course, the math haters will come along and throw shade.

I doubt a 260-112 grind would win a cam shootout on the dyno in a flat top 440………but the winner would probably be a noticeable step away from the street friendly manners you’re likely experiencing with the current cam.
Engine currently makes 602@5900 / 575ft@4500
My thoughts are you’d have to slide the peaks up the RPM scale a bit to see an appreciable gain in power.

If it were a cam/dyno contest, the cam I have in mind should be worth a nice gain……..but wouldn’t be great on the street with mufflers.

For a 99% street driven 440, I don’t see any real upside to a 4500 carb.

Last edited:
I doubt a 260-112 grind would win a cam shootout on the dyno in a flat top 440………but the winner would probably be a noticeable step away from the street friendly manners you’re likely experiencing with the current cam.

For a 99% street driven 440, I don’t see any real upside to a 4500 carb.

When Jim Laroy and I chatted about that cam, we picked it knowing HP would be left on the table in lieu of street manners and fuel friendliness, which is important to me.

Personally I think it's a little deficient in compression and pulling that LSA back would boost cranking compression and also boost the HP. But how far to pull it back and not impact street manners...

Swapping to 1:6 rockers was also an option.. Bigger cam without a bigger cam, and less work involved

Last edited:
What’s your compression ratio. Also, if you could change cams would you want the torque and power peaks at the same rpm or would you want to move them higher or lower?

I can run some math and give you some numbers. Of course, the math haters will come along and throw shade. I bought these pistons 25 years ago.

I'm not entirely sure... I bought these pistons 25 years ago. They are forged flat tops and I had the iron closed chambers at the time

If you are unsure of the piston deck height, get an inexpensive bore scope (Harbor Freight) and take a look with a piston at the top of the bore.

When Jim Laroy and I chatted about that cam, we picked it knowing HP would be left on the table in lieu of street manners and fuel friendliness, which is important to me.

Its pretty rare when a cam swap in a fairly well sorted out street/strip combo doesn’t come without having to give something up…….to get something else.

Here’s what I came up with using your numbers. I kept the power and torque peaks where you had them and I used 10.25:1 for compression. I thought I posted them already but it looks like I didn’t.

257/269 104/101

I found a couple of Howard’s lobes that would work.

.006/.020/.050/lift

298/289/257/.656
310/301/269/.640

Don’t let the 104 LSA make you nervous. It will idle and drive just like your other cam when the tune up is correct.

-
Back