Camshaft Instalation

-

JimmyV

MOPAR!!
Reaction score
I Am In The Middle Of Building My 360 Just Got The Camshaft In With The Thrust Plate And Cam Gear I Noticed That My Camshaft Moves Back And Forth Quite A Bit And If I Instal The Oil Pump Drive And Turn It With A Screwdriver The Cam Moves Back And Forth Is This Normal? Did I Forget A Thrust Washer Or Something As Far As I Know All I Have Ever Seen Is Just The Thrust Plate..just Want To Make Sure That It Is Ok...and For And Idea I Can Move It Back And Forth With My Hand Very Easily Will Most Of This Disapear Wiht The Valve Train Instralled..
Help Asap

The spec I have is 0.002-0.010

If it's more than that, I'd suggest looking for wear on the thrust plate or some debris that has found its way between mating surfaces.

is abrand new thrust plate and clean it doesnt move so far the lifters get off center just seems like a bit more then i would think..with the oil pump drive gear out i can move it back and forth enough to make it thump agains thrust plate and back of block..but wiht the gear in there its not as bad..just concerned that i am missing a spacer or something?

I can't think of any potentially missing pieces, but I'll be up to my elbows in Dodge innards for the first time in a long time in a few days. My memory isn't what it used to be. Could the fuel pump eccentric be hanging up slightly on the cam snout? I recall having a similar issue with some Brand X stuff once upon a time.

there is no eccentric but i kinda did a guestamate on the end play and it seems ok when you but the oil drive in there there is barely any unless you actually turn the oil gear but i think it will be ok once everything is together as far as valve train goes and there is no eccentric on there i took it off running electric fuel pump

How much walk?

the camshaft is rearward thrusting, in other words, when moving [driven by the cam gear & timing chain, the cam will take a rearward movement] thus, the cam gear/thrust plate will control camshaft movement.

If you install a new oil pump drive gear and bushing it`ll probably take some free play out of that cam. So many people fail to replace that gear/bushing and install a new cam on an old gear that has 100,000 miles or more on it.

.......U still need the ecentric on there 2 take up the slack.........or did u make up some kind of a spacer.................kim...........

-
Back