Camshaft Install

-

earlymopar

Reaction score
Just curious where you guys are installing your camshafts for supercharged street driven small block cars; "straight-up" or other? My cam specs are: 224/224 @ 050”, 270/270 adv, .470”/.470” lift, 112 sep. I'm running 1.6 rockers on the exhaust and 1.5s on the intake so my actual duration and lift on the exhaust side are increased. I just got my short block back from the shop and noticed that they installed my cam 4 degrees retarded (my directions were "straight-up"). I know what this does to valve timing and piston to valve clearance as well as peak torque changing by a couple of hundred RPMs. I've measured the ICL and that came out to 111 degrees. This is a 6 lb. boost set-up (twin screw Magnuson).

-EM

Could it be the cam was built 8 degrees advanced? Seen that before. It depends on where that pin was placed.

I installed my cam 4 degrees advanced when I built my blown 354 Hemi. I wanted that extra grunt for city driving and low speed touring. The 6-71 was set for 8 lbs. of boost. The Clay Smith cam was a .500 lift/240 duration @.050 and 114 LSA. It was built to be mild mannered in traffic with tire smoking torque at 2000 rpm.

Could it be the cam was built 8 degrees advanced? Seen that before. It depends on where that pin was placed.

I installed my cam 4 degrees advanced when I built my blown 354 Hemi. I wanted that extra grunt for city driving and low speed touring. The 6-71 was set for 8 lbs. of boost. The Clay Smith cam was a .500 lift/240 duration @.050 and 114 LSA. It was built to be mild mannered in traffic with tire smoking torque at 2000 rpm.

I understand where you're heading but I don't think it was Shorty. Your set-up sounds nice. What car (year and model) is this in?

- EM

mojoshemi4.jpg
th_mojoslicks3-1-1.jpg
I understand where you're heading but I don't think it was Shorty. Your set-up sounds nice. What car (year and model) is this in?

- EM

-
Back