Camshaft selection with Turbo

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
I would like to order a camshaft for my 470 ci single turbo build and wondering who and what you guys have used before? I sent my info to Comp Cams and waiting to hear back but would like to get a couple more recommendations from other camshaft mfgs.

According to Corky Bell's book, "Maximum Boost" your best bet is usually a STOCK cam when going to a turbo. His argument is that too much valve-overlap is counterproductive for turbos. That said, I never did install a turbo. I had planned to (that's why I read the book) but I have a "lobey" cam (and it sounds so cool). Anyway... I'm no expert so I probably shouldn't even open my mouth! Be sure to provide lots of cool pictures on your project!

Let’s be clear here. Corky Bells book maximum boost is a great reference and Corky does say to use a stock cam but only if you have no idea what you are doing. Speaking with a good camshaft grinder and having them grind you a cam is the best route. What he meant by his statement is a turbocharged engine has needs different from naturally aspirated and or a supercharged engine and if you are not going to address those needs you are better off leaving the stock cam in the engine. Do not pick a catalog cam and hope it will work well. I recommend contacting Bullet, Mike Jones, comp, Oregon, any and all of them and getting a custom cam suited for YOUR application. Also pick up corky bells book it has a lot of good info in it.

Or Shane aka dart19666 he works for Crower cams and can custom grind you one too, great guy, I got one from him for mine.

From my understanding - you want less overlap and as much lift as you can get... overlap obviously bleeds off boost pressure so a lot of overlap is not ideal... high lift allows more air to be taken in... The stock cam is good but really low lift... would be better off with a high lift cam with conservative duration and an wider LSA....

Than again I am NOT a professional - just what I've found when looking for blower cams.

Very true, for a blower cam. A turbo cam will be a completely different animal all together. Blown engines have very little exhaust backpressure (or should have very little). In the turbo game we are dealing with lots of backpressure. Again, let the camshaft grinders design your camshaft for YOUR application.

-
Back