Camshafts and clearance

-
Is the piston domed? about .017 out of the hole? That is a factory piston.

I took the heads off and looked at the piston. There flat top pistons with valve releaves and the pistons stops before top of the block....I messured the piston hole and it messers 4 1/8..

Here is a pic of the piston..

Sorry, when I said domed I was thinking 70 and before. That big a cam with that piston will drive like crap. Even if it even idles under 1200 rpm. Noooo low end at all. Once, i had to get an engine in quick, to go to work on Monday. I grabbed a 73 short block and threw a .484 purple cam in it. Nothing until 3000rpm, smallest p/v made. Doggy.

Sorry, when I said domed I was thinking 70 and before. That big a cam with that piston will drive like crap. Even if it even idles under 1200 rpm. Noooo low end at all. Once, i had to get an engine in quick, to go to work on Monday. I grabbed a 73 short block and threw a .484 purple cam in it. Nothing until 3000rpm, smallest p/v made. Doggy.

The camshaft I'am going with now is a comp cam XE275HL or XE284H. I want a camshaft that has a lope to it.instead of a smooth idle I want low end too. I have 456 gears with a spool and I'am going with a 3500-4000 stall.

If the lopey sound is important you need to look at overlap.
The bigger the overlap,the more lope.
Generally this means older design cams and generally not the modern split duration type.
The older design will sacrifice some performance but you get a better lope which is what it seems you are aiming for.

Out of interest , I'm only using a 0.484" lift purpleshaft in my 440 Barracuda.It sounds a lot wilder than it really is yet drives quite tame.Performance is great as well considering small cam and compression.It has turned 7.6 eigths.Recently had it on a dyno and it made 303rwhp so I guess that's about where you need to be to achieve your aims.

Threads like this kill me. It's 2 pages of us trying to help and 2 pages of you not listening.

Try this one……. Because you need to over cam once so you know what is being said.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=623&sb=2

I'am listening I want to get a good camshaft thats will work before 3K rpm.What is the biggest cam with being over cam'd. But anyways I think I might of found a short block Its a 30 over to 40 over 340 with 11.5-12 to 1 pistons with a 610 solid lifter camshaft. It has aluminum rods. I'am not sure on the crank it might be a stroker..I will need to buy a set of decent heads and a good intake.. He hasntgave me a price yet..

But my dad gave me a altimatom tonight he said why don't you take the 440 out of my drag car and put it in your duster...Its a 30 over 440 with ross flat top pistons with H beam rods. It has a team G intake with 950 holley ported and polished 452 heads 214/188 valves It has a hughes 575-580 Hyd Camshaft. This motor has been 10.8s@127mph in the 1/4 in his 73 duster 488 gears and a 3500-3800 stall..

The camshaft I'am going with now is a comp cam XE275HL or XE284H. I want a camshaft that has a lope to it.instead of a smooth idle I want low end too. I have 456 gears with a spool and I'am going with a 3500-4000 stall.

The XE275HL definately has both the low end power and the "lope" you're looking for. Its modern design really does give you the best of both.

Sounds good, just to let you know that for my build I was completely open for advice when choosing the cam. My good friend Tim Banning at FHO (For Hemis Only) has been building Mopar engines for years and this is the one he insisted I use. His track record of engine building is now legendary so you can be sure you have made a great choice. I am using this one and am sure glad he suggested it.
Here is his website to check out, you will see what I mean !

http://www.forhemisonly.com/customerpics.html

Sounds good, just to let you know that for my build I was completely open for advice when choosing the cam. My good friend Tim Banning at FHO (For Hemis Only) has been building Mopar engines for years and this is the one he insisted I use. His track record of engine building is now legendary so you can be sure you have made a great choice. I am using this one and am sure glad he suggested it.
Here is his website to check out, you will see what I mean !

http://www.forhemisonly.com/customerpics.html

Thanks man..

-
Back