can a 440 be installed from underneath?

-

Elmer-FN-Fudd

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
putting a 440 in a 71 duster and was wondering if it could be installed already attached to k frame from underneath. I know a 383 can be installed that way pretty much fully assembled but with the extra width of a 440 can it be done or do you have to leave the heads off?

i would think so ,leave the valve covers off would help.
does car have power steering?

I just installed my 440 from the bottom in my 71 demon with the k frame, transmission and headers attached this weekend. I had no problems at all during installation.

IMG_3203.jpeg

IMG_3211.jpeg

I like the front frame brackets giving your cherry picker the ability to raise the car high enough and back enough to roll everything in and out.

I had a bridge crane in my previous shop so I put the rear wheels up on blocks and then lifted the front of the car with the crane. Roll the engine underneath, set the frame down on jacks and then pull the engine into place. Took a couple of hours to put the whole thing together.

DSC_3630 (Large).JPG

DSC_3624 (Large).JPG

thank you all, that will save me so much time and effort when I go to install it. I had a 72 duster that I put a 440 in when I was 17 and I installed it from the top. that was 43 years ago but I still remember it was a pain to do. Especially since back then the only headers available were fenderwell and it was my everyday driver. This will also be a street car but not my everyday driver.

@Fast340cuda, that is probably exactly how I'll be doing mine. I think you even have the same engine hoist that I do :) I checked, mines still here !

Last edited:
AndyF I must have missed that page from your build, I just read it last weekend.

-
Back