Can a breather be cleaned?

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a stock type breather for my 66 Dart V8. Today at the junkyard (while I was pulling my V8 centerlink) I found the correct type it is in good shape and is not clogged. I would like to use it but clean it first. I know on old tractors we used to clean them with gas and reuse. Could I use brake clean, carb clean or gas? What type of media is the filter part made of?

I just took the stock one off the slant six in my 73 dart and set it on my workbench to remind me to post a question just like this. LOL
I would think that dousing it with carb cleaner should work, it may take a couple of cans but it should work.
I just figured that $2.99 a can is still cheaper than trying ebay for a NOS breather seeing as how NOS Ebody ashtrays are worth 400 bucks or more.

You got me all worked up so I just went out to the garage and did it.

I used 1 1/2 cans of carb cleaner and sprayed it in the bottom until it came out the top and shook the hell out of it while holding my hands over the bottom and the top (side) holes. Then I drainned it out and did it a bunch more times until it came out pretty clear. By the time I was done the carb cleaner took off all the old paint so I rinsed it off with soapy water, dried it, scuffed it up with some red scotchbrite pad and painted it black. Now it's hanging up and I will throw it back on tomorrow, or later tonite.

i even took pics.

stuff.jpg

insidetop.jpg

insidebottom.jpg

scuffedup.jpg

YES I KNOW THERE IS FORD STUFF IN THERE
painted.jpg

stuff.jpg

stuff.jpg

insidetop.jpg

insidetop.jpg

insidebottom.jpg

insidebottom.jpg

scuffedup.jpg

scuffedup.jpg

painted.jpg

painted.jpg

You got me all worked up so I just went out to the garage and did it.

I used 1 1/2 cans of carb cleaner and sprayed it in the bottom until it came out the top and shook the hell out of it while holding my hands over the bottom and the top (side) holes. Then I drainned it out and did it a bunch more times until it came out pretty clear. By the time I was done the carb cleaner took off all the old paint so I rinsed it off with soapy water, dried it, scuffed it up with some red scotchbrite pad and painted it black. Now it's hanging up and I will throw it back on tomorrow, or later tonite.

i even took pics.

stuff.jpg

insidetop.jpg

insidebottom.jpg

scuffedup.jpg

YES I KNOW THERE IS FORD STUFF IN THERE
painted.jpg

gotta love it, pan full of carb cleaner with an ashtray next to it. i used to have balz that big!!

stuff.jpg

stuff.jpg

insidetop.jpg

insidetop.jpg

insidebottom.jpg

insidebottom.jpg

scuffedup.jpg

scuffedup.jpg

painted.jpg

painted.jpg

I couldn't find a stock type breather for my 66 Dart V8. Today at the junkyard (while I was pulling my V8 centerlink) I found the correct type it is in good shape and is not clogged. I would like to use it but clean it first. I know on old tractors we used to clean them with gas and reuse. Could I use brake clean, carb clean or gas? What type of media is the filter part made of?

coffee can with a little gas will work just fine. all thats in the breather is oil and a little blowby. gas wont hurt it.

I just took the stock one off the slant six in my 73 dart and set it on my workbench to remind me to post a question just like this. LOL
I would think that dousing it with carb cleaner should work, it may take a couple of cans but it should work.
I just figured that $2.99 a can is still cheaper than trying ebay for a NOS breather seeing as how NOS Ebody ashtrays are worth 400 bucks or more.

that was a nos ash tray for a Hemi e body remember.

coffee can with a little gas will work just fine. all thats in the breather is oil and a little blowby. gas wont hurt it.

It's OK to use gasoline to clean parts (which is a no-no) and it is not OK to have a closed can of carb cleaner next to an ash tray... Good call.

If you spray a lit cigarette with carb cleaner it puts it out.

Chuck

Better chaps than me. Tried pulling the breather off the Slant and it dug in for the long haul and would not budge! Bloody thing. Could probably pull the engine by hooking a chain to the breather if needed.

I cleaned mine in parts washer with varsol I think. I just ran the liquid through it over and over and then let it dry outside for a few days. It's been great since.

You can clean a reuse air cleaners too. Just soap and water I think and some pressurized air.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm cleaning mine tonight.

-
Back