Can a Ford 8.8 handle a big block?

-

Stepper

Reaction score
Given the going rate for 8 3/4 rear ends, I'm seriously thinking about the Explorer 8.8 rear end swap. But I have no idea if it would handle my plans for a 400 to 451 stroker build.

The car will be mostly street and I may do a strip every now and then, but it's mostly for street and cruising.

I know the 8.8s were used in cobras etc, but has anyone used one behind a mopar big block?

Given the going rate for 8 3/4 rear ends, I'm seriously thinking about the Explorer 8.8 rear end swap. But I have no idea if it would handle my plans for a 400 to 451 stroker build.

The car will be mostly street and I may do a strip every now and then, but it's mostly for street and cruising.

I know the 8.8s were used in cobras etc, but has anyone used one behind a mopar big block?

I have a 600+ RWHP 2006 Charger that had a prototype 8.8 rear that held up fine. I was doing consistent 1.4's in the 60 with a 4300 lb car too. Now granted it was on the housing/center carrier and had a tru trac in it as well. The axles housing were cut off because the car had half shafts. But I never had any issues with the actual 8.8 center section.

Anyone know how to tell which ones are limited slip?

I'm thinking about using this in a 69 dart, but I'm not that familiar with the Ford 8.8 and how to determine if it's a LSD?

Also...is it that the years 95 and later are preferred?

can anyone help me locate parts for my 8.8 ford rear i need the E brake set up for the type that uses the caliper for the E brake (not the drum in the rotor type)

HELP

If you still have the explorer, there is an axle code on the drivers door. If the axle code starts with a D or L, it is a limited slip. If the code is just a 2 digit number (usually 41, 42, 43, 45, or 46) then it is an open diff. If you have the rear only, if you jack it up and turn the wheel, the other wheel turns the same direction on a limited slip, opposite direction on an open diff.
Also, if you are looking for the housing to hold up, have a professional welder, weld the axle tubes to the center housing with a low-hydrogen rod. And get a rear diff cover that has girdle support for the caps.

Don't get the idea that they are bullit proof.They go out behind a v/6.If you are going to run a warm big block-better do some homework.You can break any rear.

-
Back