Can a stereo head be installed under the seat/has anyone done this?

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Something I want to do with my duster, hopefully over this winter, is install a stereo system, but I want to hide it as much as possible (and still keep the cost down as much as possible too). It seems like the only place I can hide the head without springing for one of those glove box mounts or something, is under the seat. Has anyone tried this before? How did you do it and how did it turn out?

Go to ebay and search marine stereo. Those have a hard wired remote with complete led display. It can be placed about anywhere.
The only issue with under the seat is antenna lead length.

this is a subject that i have been also thinking about. my solution for myself is to build a nice center console with a built in stereo and speakers, that will be easily removable with maybe 2 small brackets holding it in place. i plan on making it all internally wired leaving only the power and ground wires with quick disconnects. i would like to swap the unit between cars as needed and easily store in the trunk during car shows.

I installed a radio under the drivers seat back in the mid 80's, on my first FB Barracuda. I wanted to keep it as original looking as possible. Worked out really, really well. I had a spare GM pushbutton w/cassette radio with the factory pigtails attached, and a pair of Pioneer 3-way box speakers.

I just installed mine in the trunk using a setero mounting box from amazon (I think it was $15). I only listen to songs from my ipod so I wasn't too worried about the antena or needing to change channels, volume, and stuff. I tried the glove box first, but it wouldn't fit. I considered under the seat as well...

It can be installed anywhere as long as you have enough wire to stretch, and if not, make them longer.

I think the center console idea is the best.

I installed mine under the seat. Make sure you get an ipod hook up and a cd player with a remote for ease.

I zip tied my deck to the wires under the seat. My seat doesn't adjust front to back at all so I'm not sure if those wires will move or not if yours adjusts correctly.

I then ran my wire under the carpet near the sill plates and had it come out where the two pieces of carpet overlap near the edge of the seat. Then I wrapped the wires in electrical tape so you can't see them at all if you look in the window. There is really only about 1" of the taped wire showing that goes from the door to under the seat. Set your preset stations and plug your ipod connector in and go. Just point the remote between your legs to change songs. It's kind of a pain but it's better than replacing broken glass and a new cd player. It only gets real annoying when you disconnect your battery and have to look under the seat to reset your preset stations.

-
Back