Can a stock fuel pump produce too much pressure?

-
This car defies my usual good fortune.
It was put together on a budget for a brother in law that had whims that changed as the wind blows. If he made friends with a guy with pink hair, in 2 weeks his would be pink too.
He glommed onto me and my interest in cars but didn’t have much money. I fronted thousands of dollars to get the car together and painted in the hopes that his interest would grow or at least maintain. They didn’t.
I bought him out of it a few years ago and have put in on the back burner. Th goal is to go through it, fix what is bad, finish the “restoration” and sell it.
The mechanical portions of the car were done in 2007-2009. It has sat relatively untouched since. It has a 1979 360 from a van. I swapped in a MP 340 cam. It actually runs pretty strong. (When it runs)
This turd is fighting me though. Read along and let me know if you’ve dealt with similar crap.
When running, it flooded the Holley.
I pulled the carb, changed the needle and seats, power valve and a few gaskets. Back on, it still floods over. I put a ThermoQuad on. It floods over too. Fuel pump? Okay… I swap in another and the flooding continues. The second pump has a twisted fitting that drips so I swap in another pump.
The ThermoQuad still floods.
Maybe it isn’t the pump then, right?
I swap in another Holley from another car. Now the car won’t start. The key gets nothing. Why?
Old wiring? I ran a jumper wire to the coil and it fired up but now there isn’t any fuel pumping to the filter. Am I out of gas? I put 2 gallons in the other day. I don’t see how I could have gone through 2 gallons just getting it to start and run.
I put the air hose to the filler neck to pressurize the tank to push gas forward. Nothing. Maybe I am out of gas. The starter was slowing down so I put the battery charger on it.
I just poured in 3 gallons. I tried pressurizing the tank again but I’m still getting nothing at the front.
I used the Hulkman to assist the battery but it was still dragging. It is a used mini starter so I’m guessing it is tired. Maybe this 3rd pump is not only dead but also blocking any and all flow forward. The engine runs with gas poured into the vent openings , at least until the gas gets used up.
I get close to figuring out one thing and another problem pops up.
It’s almost to the point where I should just go through everything.
More to come.

Redemption.
I used the carburetor from this car:

67 R.jpg

Along with the fuel pump that I had in the car before:

B36A36FD-3709-477B-894A-40647790AEEC.jpeg

You know, the one I first thought might put out too much pressure?
Boom. It idles great, runs great and doesn’t flood over.
The problem was not high pressure but bad floats or something in both carburetors that allowed the flooding.
It is odd to have two parts in a row give identical symptoms. I'm going to go all the way through the Holley from this car and hopefully have it all good to go soon.

Last edited:
-
Back