Can anyone help me with a Plymouth choke problem?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
On this Plymouth I've got with the 170CID 1bbl Holley 1920 the choke seems to be killing the engine. I got the engine started today after two years of the car sitting. Before that I cleaned/sealed the fuel tank, put new float/sock on the fuel sending unit, rebuilt the 1bbl Holley 1920, new points, condenser, plugs, fuel filter, air filter. Without a whole lot of trouble it fired up and after it warmed a bit it ran pretty good. But when slowly driving it around if you went to give it a lot of gas it would die immediately. I had a buddy helping me that said it's the choke isn't operating. When I got the car the previous owner had the original stove choke in the glove box and rigged up some kinda manual pull choke that wasn't even hooked up so I yanked it. I let the original choke coil soak in some EVAPO-RUST and reinstalled it. One of the bolts was broken off so I couldn't tighten it all the way in, but it still stayed. Does the choke mess up a lot on these Holley 1920s? Is there a way to keep it original and working good?

I just watched my buddy work on it. He could it running decent when he disconnected the choke heater rod and open in manually. I don't think it was the choke thermostat was moving the choke plate at all.

Yep, so you need a good choke t-stat right.....just make sure you have good power and ground at it...KEy on of course..

This isnt the electric choke like on my 73 Charger. This 65 Valiant has a manual choke thermostat. The one on my 73 Charger has an electric heating element. I just won a new OEM replacement manual choke thermostat on EBAY. I just have to get one of the original screws drilled out that broken in there from the previous owner. Is there suppose to be a gasket on the bottom of the choke housing or is it just metal to metal?

mine had a paper gasket. I had the opposite problem w/ my slant, try taking it out and spraying the coil with WD-40 or something similiar then work it loose. It gets rusty and freezes up. Worth a shot.

I guess I'll try out the new choke thermostat when I get it. I just hope I can get the original broken screw out of the manifold. Everyone I've seen in the junkyard all had the screws broken in them too. At least it runs. Not bad for sitting for two years. It runs good too if you manually open the choke by hand. I got the car for free and I think I've got $80 in it.

-
Back