Can anyone here tell the year model (rear end) need new seals)

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I think there is two different 8 1/4 rear ends (Late modle/ early model) but is there two different sizes of pinion seals on these rear ends ?
I need to order my bearings and seals and just need to make sure :coffee2:
I could just remove the outer seals and bearings and have them matched, but I would like to make sure what year model this rear end is if I could with some ones help :color:

Thank you for your time on this :glasses7:

I was told it was a 73 duster rear end, just want and expert tech to make sure :coffee2:

Attachments

• 01AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 01AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 199
Well I did some digging and I sure am glad I like the 2.45:1 hwy gear becouse I found this on the interweb, Units with a 2.45:1 gear ratio have a special case that will not accept any other gear ratio. The axles are retained by a c-clip on either side. All axles were 27 spline until 1997 when they were upgraded to 29 spline. I better pull the bearings and seals and take them to NAPA or other and let them get the #'ers off of them I guess.

I'm no 8.25 expert for sure but think the early (up to about 75 or 76) used the smaller carrier bearings and maybe pinion bearings. I think the outer bearings/seals were the same for pretty much all 8.25s. FWIW I have a 73 8.25 that is stamped 73 on the case. Yours probably is stamped too. I'm doing the Jeep Grand Cherokee rear disc conversion on it which so far has been pretty easy.

That is what I have seen and I hope you have a thread showing your disk brake instal :color:
I will go look at my rear end and see if I can find a date on it, I was told it came out of a 73 duster V8 car Dartman, thank you for your time to reply, on my way out to have a look see :glasses7:

Careful you don't tweak your back trying to get a look!
:D I hear that Ben :glasses7: I hope it feels better by this evening, I need to get on the lawn mower and hit the frontage of my property after all this rain and heat we have gotten :prayer::prayer:

I got my answer :coffee2: Kegan found a thread where a member posted his casting numbers
he said Quote from a 2012 post = Quote from a member here in 2012 = For what it's worth a build date of 9/73 A Body 8.25 has a casting number of 2852905

-
Back