Can anyone recommend a comptent locksmith for getting keys made for our cars

-

Al Bundy

four touchdowns!
Reaction score
Had a bad experience with a "reputable" locksmith shop today that cost me $4.00 and a pair of NOS key blanks.
I took two NOS Chrysler key blanks in to simply have another set made for my Dart as spares since I only got one set with my car and they are aftermarket keys and getting worn.
I figured this was routine for them and no big deal. I explained what I wanted done to the young girl working at the counter and showed her the blanks. She looked at them and asked "we sell blanks here,why do you want to use these". I told her because these are factory correct original Chrysler blanks made for the car,not aftermarket ones like they sell. She then asked if I "had the car" and I said yes and pointed out the front window and asked "why"? She didn't answer then went into the back and another older woman came out with all four of my keys. she asked me if these were the correct blanks,I said they were. Then her and the counter girl exchanged some words that left me with the impression that this was simply asking to much. Anyway,long story short,the older woman runs the keys through the duplicator,then hands all the originals and the copies to the counter girl who wont let me inspect them until Ive paid the $4.00 for cutting the keys. After telling her that I wasn't going to take them and run out of the store I paid the $4.00 and looked them over. the ends that were supposed to be smooth and angled came out jagged and the teeth on the ignition key weren't cut exactly the same as the original and it didn't work in the lock. In addition to this,the heads of the NOS keys looked like they were clamped into a vise and had scars in the metal on one side.

I brought this to her attention and she said its "normal" and they aren't liable for screwing up the blanks. She then said "you should have come during the week when the techinician is here".
I told her I thought they WERE technicians since they work in he locksmith shop and were the only ones there and they grabbed the keys to make the copies.

At that point I simply walked out,realizing there wasn't any good in arguing with them and considering it a lesson learned about trusting my gut instinct. When the first girl asked me "why do you want to use these blanks" and "where did I get them" I should have told her to give them back to me and walk.

Anyway,I am pretty pissed. Can anyone here recommend a competent locksmith for cutting NOS key blanks for our cars? I have one more pair of NOS keys and don't want to deal with this again. Its a plus if they are in So Cal.

Also is it possible for a competent locksmith to look at the cut of the key and "read" the code to make a like new set? or can the key codes be retrieved through the VIN? I don't want to pull the lock cylinders if it isn't necessary.

Also what are your opinions of simply going to a Dodge dealer that has a Curtis Klipper? I was told the "old timers" could actually read the codes looking at the key and use the Curtis Klipper to make factory new keys.

Thanks guys for any help.

I get all mine done at Ace Hardware and never a problem, but I'm sure the person doing them is part of it.

I get all mine done at Ace Hardware and never a problem, but I'm sure the person doing them is part of it.

X2 I bought a couple repop blanks at the Nats and had my local ace cut them. Perfect!

I can do it... always helps though to have the car around to verify and regrind/ smooth if need be.

I have trained 19 year olds to do it... they usually get it right on the first key, although some keys are harder than others.

A key copy machine is too easy, providing you have the correct matching blank. All NOS blanks are not the same. You didn't say what year model locks you have or where you purchased these blanks. If pre 1970 and/or ebay... :(
Carefully compare your blank length, width, and the linear grooves spacing/width/length, to you OEM key.

Hi Redfish,I bought them online. All the locks on the car are original to the car,even the ignition lock. My car is a 1970 Dart Swinger and the keys purchased are identical to those pictured below. Are the 70 and later models easier to find correct key blanks for then? It sounds like you're saying the 69 and earlier keys are different lengths? I held the now cut blanks up to the aftermarket Curtis blanks that came with the car and they look pretty much the same.

$_3.JPG

Thanks for the tip. Perhaps I should give them a try. For some reason I assumed a locksmith would be more carefull/skilled. thanks again for your help getting my temp and gas gauge working too. This is a really a great site. So much info!

I can do it... always helps though to have the car around to verify and regrind/ smooth if need be.

I have trained 19 year olds to do it... they usually get it right on the first key, although some keys are harder than others.

There used to be a great locksmith nearby that I had used any time I needed to make keys for my other cars and that guy was great! He could cut rare NOS keys I brought him so they looked like they came with the car from the factory. not even any wire wheel marks from deburring them. He was in his 70's when he finally called it quits and retired.

Is it possible for you to read the cuts in a worn key and cut a new one by code so the peaks and valleys will be restored to the same length/depth as when new?

Why not have them make you a spare with the standard blank first, then if it is cut to your satisfaction, let them cut the NOS blank.

If your ever in Ventura, try Plaza Locksmiths on Main St at Donlon St. He's been around a long time and has made keys for several of my cars. Even made a key for a Cadi I had from a door lock cylinder. (Didn't get a door key when I bought it)

Sorry about the bad experience, I hate that kind of stuff.

If it were me, I probably would have just walked out at this point:

Then her and the counter girl exchanged some words that left me with the impression that this was simply asking to much.

I've duplicated keys on the machine will no problems ever, even when the original key that was provided was broken in two pieces. The only piece that gets clamped down is the area being cut, not the head with the pentastar. When I worked for Chrysler I also use to code all types of cylinders for all different years and its such a straight forward procedure you don't need to be a locksmith/rocket scientist. You unfortunately were dealing with incompetent individuals, I have had NOS blanks cut at Home Depot free of any problems.

It all depends on how they get them clamped in the machine. I just had some made for this Duster. Told the guy before he started, these are blanks I had to order so please take your time and don't F*CK these up, in a nice way of course. He took his time and I got working keys. Need to take the other two back to him and have the same conversation 1 more time

-
Back