Can cam support gear change?

-
Lug? In the OD gear I’d agree. That final drive ratio of 2.56 is super low. While at 70 mph, it’s just the beginning of that cams power range. Yea yea yea it says 1800 plus, but the reality is it has to ko e a box shape through the air at speed. It’ll be OK if it’s rpm-ing better than 2100, IMO. I’m running a 226@050 Comp Hyd. roller in the wife’s 11-1, 360 engine. At low rpm, it pulls but it doesn’t really take off. Once it starts to get above 2500, it picks up good and really goes well after 3K.

Not in a great rpm at cruise is what I’d call it. A tad low, IMO.
It really doesn't hurt them to run at 3000 r's for a bit. I sure wouldn't want to make a cross country trip at that speed. 2000 or just a bit less is good for mileage but that doesn't make sense with a performance build.

It really doesn't hurt them to run at 3000 r's for a bit. I sure wouldn't want to make a cross country trip at that speed. 2000 or just a bit less is good for mileage but that doesn't make sense with a performance build.

Right. It's just super loud. I bet 3.55 would be the ticket. I'll do some testing and see what I come up with.

High RPM's put additional load on the cooling system as well as the entire engine assembly. If you have a quarter mile car and want to go on long trip's you have to make a decision on which piece of cake you really want.
When you are worrying about how it will "Launch" with a different ratio or tire size you need to rethink this car.

-
Back