Can I lift the rear with shackles?

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1968 Barracuda

Does anyone sell leaf spring shackles that raise the rear end of the car an inch or 2?
I Googled it but came up empty. ........
Everything I found for "offset shackles" was for moving them inbound. .....

PLEASE do NOT do this. Unfortunately, this "got started" some time ago and............

Thunderbolt-and-Lightfoot-Fury.jpg

I have leaf springs I can sell you that will do what you want! Im in huntington beach too

they make them, but you don't want to use them to raise the rear. because they will weaken the springs. there were alot of cars running around in the 70's with saggy rears as a result, including my barracuda.

they make them, but you don't want to use them to raise the rear. because they will weaken the springs. there were alot of cars running around in the 70's with saggy rears as a result, including my barracuda.

Cool.....I'll stay at stock height!
Just received my mopar springs from Summit.
I'll leave well enough alone!

Cool.....I'll stay at stock height!
Just received my mopar springs from Summit.
I'll leave well enough alone!

put the new springs on, I'm willing to bet the rear will be a least an inch higher.
no air shocks or long shackles on a Mopar.

These look like the ones I used as a teen. Autozone Part Number: 13-4000. I'd recommend new springs for the long term fix

Hey, I'm not too far away from you. I'm just at the end of the 71. Anyway, I would keep the original shackles on. Also, by jacking up the rear, you're putting your weight higher which can make the car more difficult to drive around a corner.

When I bought my 70 340 Swinger back in 1978, it had long shackles, air shocks @ 140-150lbs with extenders on lower shock mount. This was to clear G60x14 on cragar S/S 8" wheels, Although the tires were hitting the wheel lip going around tight corners, straight away blasts were awesome. The car was not a daily driver and the suspension was tight. Sadly I don't have any pictures but I have all the parts and planning to use them again when resto is completed.

Lol.....I'm only talking about an inch or 2. .....

That's what she said... LOL! :D

I would use stock style shackles only, I don't like the "ladder" type ones.

If you want to raise the rear end a bit, use better springs...

If you like it higher, use the MP super stock rear leaf springs ending in part numbers -002 & -003...

This may also throw your pinion angle off and you will develop severe wheel hop when doing burn outs or spinning the wheels. Guess how I know?

PLEASE do NOT do this. Unfortunately, this "got started" some time ago and............

Thunderbolt-and-Lightfoot-Fury.jpg

Lol, Don't forget a set of these (picture below) when you do the above.........:blob:
All seriousness aside, IMHO, new HD springs are likely your best bet for street use.
Go with the SS and long shocks for track. Matched set may show some side to side height bias. As I understand some have countered that stance installing the same SS spring on both sides, but that may counter act performance.

Attachments

• extensionset.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 746
"Can I lift the rear with shackles"?

Sure you can!! And you can pound nails with your forehead too, But who would want to? :banghead:

I raised my old '74 dart with shackles. There were 3 holes for heights, I used the 1st hole and it raised it only about 1 inch. I cut the remainder of the shackles off. I had these on my dart for about 8 years or so, never had a problem. For 15 bucks, it did exactly what I wanted and caused no issues. I wouldn't recommend doing like the picture above... LOL

P.S. sometime the new SS springs will make your ride much firmer. I would do the cheap shackles, and if you do not like them, and it ruins your springs, what are you out??? 15 bucks??? They all say "new springs" anyways, right???

I raised my old '74 dart with shackles. There were 3 holes for heights, I used the 1st hole and it raised it only about 1 inch. I cut the remainder of the shackles off. I had these on my dart for about 8 years or so, never had a problem. For 15 bucks, it did exactly what I wanted and caused no issues. I wouldn't recommend doing like the picture above... LOL

P.S. sometime the new SS springs will make your ride much firmer. I would do the cheap shackles, and if you do not like them, and it ruins your springs, what are you out??? 15 bucks??? They all say "new springs" anyways, right???

That's more like what I was talking about....an inch or so!

These are the springs I got from Summit (arrived last night! Woohoo!)

Mopar Performance P4510269 - Mopar Performance Original Equipment Leaf Springs DCC-4510269
Spring, Rear Leaf, Left, XHD OEM-Style, Dodge, Plymouth, A-Body, 2,800 lbs., Each
(Mfr. #: P4510269) Ready to Ship
Ground
$199.97 1 $199.97

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mopar Performance P4510268 - Mopar Performance Original Equipment Leaf Springs DCC-4510268
Spring, Rear Leaf, Right, XHD OEM-Style, Dodge, Plymouth, A-Body, 2,800 lbs., Each
(Mfr. #: P4510268) Ready to Ship
Ground
$199.97 1 $199.97

Jeff

put the new springs on with standard shackles. those who say they used extended shackle with no issues are probably the same guys who had lights illuminating the rear axle. lol
all show no go. consider yourself warned, no extended shackle.

put the new springs on with standard shackles. those who say they used extended shackle with no issues are probably the same guys who had lights illuminating the rear axle. lol

I'm gonna put them on Friday morning and see how I like them....as is.

yes you can do it.with air shocks or shackles,and they will work.would i do it?no,but it can be done

yes you can do it.with air shocks or shackles,and they will work.would i do it?no,but it can be done

you were the one with lights? lol
if you want a Mopar suspension not to react or function properly, go ahead and add air shocks and shackles.

I said it, and NO, I did not have illuminating lights! And for your "all show and no go" remark, I was happy to take anyone out of town (and this includes you fishmens67) and line 'em up. :D Perhaps you would have had a good look at my shackles :D

318, I would have just used my 65 1/2 ton with 440 and flite.lol

-
Back