Can I move my 65 without the park cable?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I'm currently rebuilding the steering column on my 65 4DR Valiant. It's an automatic on the column so it has the shifter and park cable made into the bottom of the column. I've disassembled the cables and I forgot to bag and label the lug and spring at the end of the park cable where it pushes into the back of the transmission cover. It is the park cable. Until I get another one is there still a way I can put it in gear and move the car manually around the yard to work on it? I'm trying to find it because I know I wouldn't have thrown it away. I would hate to get everything looking good and working nice and not be able to drive it because of this but I know eventually I will have to have it before I can drive or fluid will leak out.

I think that the cable pushes and engages the park lock. It should roll free without it on there, but it may have to be pulled to the neutral position to start with (should be there from removing the cable). I am pretty sure it will leak fluid unless you plug the hole. I left my cables loose, and when I poured the fluid in, 5 quarts in all, it went straight to the floor.
Others may know better.

-
Back