Can I run stock rockers?

-

71violet

Reaction score
I have a 340 with eddy rpm heads, flat tops, ld340, 750 demon, headers, auto with 2400 stall, 3.91 gears, manual brakes. I have cam selection down to the lunati voodoo 60403 or 60402. My question is : can I run stock rockers (successfully!) with the 60403 with its .513 lift? How about the 60402? My eyes are going square reading all the conflicting information out there! Anyone know if the base circle is the same as a stock cam? I will check pushrod length but are stockers "supposed" to work? Thanks for the input people!

I don't think so - but not because of the lift. Because of the spring pressures. Does Lunati mention needing an adjustable valvetrain for it?

stock rockers can be used on eddy heads, i used them with a hughes 230/237 ..515/.535 cam. The only problem you might encounter is if you use a spring that is too stiff and the pushrod will punch through the stock oem rocker.

I used the mopar performance upgraded stock rockers...they have a thicker pad where the pushrod rides..

Lunati recommends adjustable rockers on the next smaller cam, they don't say anything about the 60403 but I'm sure it would be recommended, it has .513 lift on the exhaust. After doing all this cam research it seems like most of the manufacturers recommend adjustable rockers even on the tiniest of cams. Was planning on using the Edelbrock springs that were on the heads, they are a single spring with 120 seat pressure and 320 open. The heads allow for .575 lift. My main concern was pushing a rod through a rocker. I'll check out the thicker stamped rockers. I just don't want to spend any more coin on this thing if it will be fine with stockers.

check out the local wrecking yards. i scored a set of adjustable small block rocker arms off a 273 for 25 bucks. shafts, spacers and all.

Wreckers around here don't have any good parts, they crush everything on an annual basis. Maybe I'll suck it up and get the heavy duty stamped rockers and the voodoo 60403

I ran stock stamped rockers with comp cams 995-16 dual springs: Seat load 115lbs @1.700'' Open load 336lbs @1.150'' Rate 402lbs/in. After 15k miles it tore through my exhaust valve seats, and several of the shims between the springs and the head. But the rockers held up just fine.

Check the for sale threads,for 273 rockers. If possible, avoid all Chinese garbage.(Proform,Cat.)

I'm running Hughes cam #HMC1326AL,.485/.518 lift in my 318 with #302 casting heads and stock rockers and pushrods. This motor has seen 6 grand several times !!! No problems with anything !! Best cam I've ever ran in a 318 by the way.

Hughes does have nice grinds,ground by Engle(Hint,hint).

Used to be Engle...now Bullet grinds them..

Hughes wanted to be the sole source of engle mopar 904 grinds.

I have 3 of the older hughes grinds that say Engle on them...and two of the newer grinds that only have the duration/lift/lsa on them..

I used the Mopar perf HD stamped versions in a 360 with a Lunati 60404 and springs that were the nearly same pressure as yours (Comp 995-16) and they wore out in less than 10,000 miles. The pushrods didn't go through the rocker, the valve stem pads wore out. Spend the money on some good adjustables.

The Crane ductile cast iron adjustables look just like the 273 adjustables. That's what I have. Geometry looks good, but I haven't fired the motor yet.

hmm order for hd's was cancelled due to back order, going with the Crane steel or the 273 commando's me thinks. Usually when I gamble I lose, 'nuf of that!

wasn't engle one of the first to compensate for the larger lifter?

No - that was Ultradyne in the 70s. But - Engle has some great lobe profiles especially for s street or double/duty engine. I'm not enthusiastic about their shelf grinds but I love their custom stuff and it was very reasonable ($195 for a full custom grind). I also liked when I called it was mark Engle that answered. Of course - I think they have been bought since then...lol.

Figures on Bullitt taking over.That blows,liked some of their grinds.

I ordered a Engle cam from some one over at Moparts...custom ground...well maybe not custom..took one of their existing grinds and tighten the LSA..with shipping it was like $165....his first name was jeff..

-
Back