can i use 74 b body calipers on the 67 -72 lower arms

-

273 ball

Reaction score
Hi can I use 74 b body calipers on a 67-76 lower control arm , I would have to change
the lower ball joint on the caliper ?

Those year B body calipers don't work on A, earlier B, E, body disc brake conversions due to the brake hose location on the caliper.
And FYI, calipers have got nothing to do with lower control arms.
Don't know what your thinking about?

Those year B body calipers don't work on A, earlier B, E, body disc brake conversions due to the brake hose location on the caliper.

Those specific calipers, no they wont.
I believe there are one or two applications with the hose in a good spot for pin calipers the A's.
There was a thread on it a year or so ago.

Hi can I use 74 b body calipers on a 67-76 lower control arm , I would have to change
the lower ball joint on the caliper ?

Those specific calipers, no they wont.
I believe there are one or two applications with the hose in a good spot for pin calipers the A's.
There was a thread on it a year or so ago.

My guess is that he's talking about the spindles??

You're not wrong about the Early B's and the hose location. I ran into that on my 64 Polara. HOWEVER, I found a way to make it work. I simply re-located the metal line where the rubber hose connects, and ordered longer universal hoses. I've still got to fab a bracket but hey, it works.

Spindles will work.

Its the location on the caliper it attaches to that interferes with the A body lower control arm.
A line change wouldnt fix it, needs to attach in a different spot on the caliper for the A bodies.

Spindles will work.

Its the location on the caliper it attaches to that interferes with the A body lower control arm.
A line change wouldnt fix it, needs to attach in a different spot on the caliper for the A bodies.
Spindle will work on the lower, but the larger ball joint uppers wont. Neither will the caliper brackets bolt to the stock spindles.

Spindle will work on the lower, but the larger ball joint uppers wont. Neither will the caliper brackets bolt to the stock spindles.

???

The spindles will work the same as any of the other 73+ FMJ spindles. Yes, they need either large ball joint UCA’s or a tapered ball joint spacer like DoctorDiff sells for that very application.

And the caliper brackets work just fine. Depending on the year they may be for pin type calipers, but that’s not a problem as long as you run the right pin type calipers that have the better brake line location.

???

The spindles will work the same as any of the other 73+ FMJ spindles. Yes, they need either large ball joint UCA’s or a tapered ball joint spacer like DoctorDiff sells for that very application.

And the caliper brackets work just fine. Depending on the year they may be for pin type calipers, but that’s not a problem as long as you run the right pin type calipers that have the better brake line location.
How do you bolt the caliber brackets to the spindles? My drum spindles have no provision for such.

You Don't bolt caliper brackets to Drum brake spindles.
You bolt brackets onto DISC brake spindles.
I know.... that is my point entirely.

I’m talking about his A body drum spindles

I know.... that is my point entirely.

What don't you get here, as you surly got me lost in this translation.
There is no way to bolt a caliper mount bracket onto a DRUM brake spindle.
That's why there are drum brake spindles, and disc brake spindles.
Now, if your talking aftermarket disc brake conversion kits, then the manufacturer makes plates that bolt onto a drum brake spindle that a caliper mount bracket will bolt onto the plate.

You’re the only one...

What don't you get here, as you surly got me lost in this translation.
There is no way to bolt a caliper mount bracket onto a DRUM brake spindle.
That's why there are drum brake spindles, and disc brake spindles.
Now, if your talking aftermarket disc brake conversion kits, then the manufacturer makes plates that bolt onto a drum brake spindle that a caliper mount bracket will bolt onto the plate.

Exactly. Not sure what happened here, or why anyone thinks you can use drum spindles for any part of this.

You’re the only one...

Exactly. Not sure what happened here, or why anyone thinks you can use drum spindles for any part of this.
I had a dumbass attack. My apologies for the confusion

-
Back