can i use diesel oil?

-

75gold.uster

Reaction score
the reason im asking if i can use diesel oil in my 225 slant six is because i have gallons of 15-40 diesel oil !! and i dont wanna spend more money let me know what u guys think.?????

I used the 15-40W Rotella diesel oil in my built 360. Works good and has plenty of zinc in it.

whats the differneces between sae and se oil? the diesel engine oil is sae 15-40w should i use it?

Diesel oil is usually rated for more severe duty cycles than standard oil. You have to check for the SF, or SC, or CC ratings for the oil that is recommended in your car. If the diesel oil also has that rating, then it should be ok to run in your engine.

Oil for diesel engines usualy has a higher detergent content than petrol engine oil, but has more addatives anti foam , and wear ( zinc ) so yes you can use it but if your rings etc have a bit of wear then you might burn a bit more of it

I swear by Rotella diesel engine oil. I know some local racers who run it. Awesome stuff, and not terribly expensive either.

SE-designated oil is a very, very low grade of engine oil, Basically, it's the minimum grade of oil for use in engines manufactured up until 1972. To the best of my knowledge, they don't even make it anymore. The grades go by letter: SA being the lowest grade that exists, and SJ being the minimum standard for use in cars today. It's worth noting that even the cheapest oil you can buy today is better than SJ. (which is WAAAAAAAY better than SE)

If the oil you've got is SE, I say cut your diesel fuel with it. Lots of people I talk to cut diesel fuel with between 10-25% Old motor oil.

SAE isn't the grade of oil, SAE stands for School of Automotive Engineers, and they make the standards for how engine oil viscosities are designated. For instance, SAE 40 oil, is 40-weight oil, as defined by the School of Automotive Engineers.

In the case of SAE 15W-40, It's a dual viscosity oil, that due to stuff added to the oil acts like 15-weight oil when it's cold, and acts like 40-weight oil when it's hot. Same as 5W-30, acts like 5-weight oil when cold, and 30 when hot.

All the current popular HDEO's (*h*eavy *d*uty *e*ngine *o*il, colloquially referred to as "diesel oil") have corresponding gas engine certifications (SM, SJ, whatever). Just check the API certification label (starburst) on the bottle/jug. I don't know why anybody would not use them today in old muscle-era cars. Today's car oils are designed for today's car engines to flow better in small, high-revving engines with average lower viscosity aimed at better fuel mileage ratings.

I've run nothing but HDEO (5w/40) in my Mopars for going on ten years now. Good stuff.

It was true that Shell Rotella had a fair amount of zinc in it at one time but they have had to remove a fair amount of it due to emissions compliance.

It was true that Shell Rotella had a fair amount of zinc in it at one time but they have had to remove a fair amount of it due to emissions compliance.
A fair amount? Exactly what is a fair amount? Puhleeeez.

This another myth popularized by the recent changes in contemporary engine oil standards. CJ-rated HDEO's still today typically contain around 1200ppm zinc - more than double the amount allowed in their ISLAC/GF-4/5 rated passenger car counterparts.

Look it up and find the facts, or spread the myths. You can get more in the Brad Penn and other specialized racing oils - at the double the price. Whether or not those boutique oils would be called for in the majority of our applications is very doubtful.

It's true. Starting in 2004, Diesels were required to have catalytic converters. That's about the same time the zinc content fell in diesel oils. You can run it just fine though and it DOES still have more zinc than conventional oil.

Most oils are rated for both diesel and gasoline engine use. The CC is a C-rated oil for a Compression ignition (CC) diesel engine. An SC oil is a C-rated oil for a Spark ignition (SC) gasoline engine.

-
Back