can oil filter cause low PSI hot ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Heres my sad story. I rebuilt my 273, new std oil pump, new rod bearings, new full groove main bearings, new cam and lifters/ did not replace cam bearings!! plastigauge .0015-.002 (maybe .0025) rods & mains.
Cold oil PSI about 60 (10W30)/ hot PSI 5-10 fram filter. Motor has less than 10 miles on it, and say 3 hours run time. Driving down the road @ 1800 rpm I have 35-40psi. hot idle in gear 5-7 psi.
Before I pull the pan, and install a HV oil pump.
Can a bad oil filter be causing my LOW HOT idle oil pressure ??

Also when I first start the cold engine , the mechanical gauge moves up SLOOWLY to 55-60psi.

First of all do NOT use Fram filters. Use almost anything BUT

Wix, (same as NAPA) Baldwin, Hastings, and a few more

But NO the filter normally could not cause such a problem, unless maybe you are using the WRONG filter. What part no. you using?

I would use a roll of toilet paper before a Fram.

But NO the filter normally could not cause such a problem, unless maybe you are using the WRONG filter. What part no. you using?

I wonder if the filter imploded and is causing a blockage, it wouldn't be the first time.

Wix, (same as NAPA) Baldwin, Hastings, and a few more

I think it is a PH16

I hate to say it but you can pay me now or pay me later,
I had a guy that bought a rebuilt engine from me that had 20-25 lbs at an idle and after he changed the oil and install a Fram filter the oil pressure dropped to 5-8 lbs so he pulled the engine and sent it back to me wanting to know what happened to the engine.
I put a WIX filter on the engine and put it in my car and the oil pressure was back up to 20 lbs hot at an idle so the guy spent a lot of money for me to to put a good oil filter on the engine. He was told up front not to use cheap oil filters or a Fram oil filter.
So now he knows

I hate to say it but you can pay me now or pay me later,
I had a guy that bought a rebuilt engine from me that had 20-25 lbs at an idle and after he changed the oil and install a Fram filter the oil pressure dropped to 5-8 lbs so he pulled the engine and sent it back to me wanting to know what happened to the engine.
I put a WIX filter on the engine and put it in my car and the oil pressure was back up to 20 lbs hot at an idle so the guy spent a lot of money for me to to put a good oil filter on the engine. He was told up front not to use cheap oil filters or a Fram oil filter.
So now he knows

So all you did was to replace the fram filter, and the oil pressure got better?

So all you did was to replace the fram filter, and the oil pressure got better?

Amazing that works ain't it?

Back when I was working for Hyundai we had customers coming in left and right with an engine knock. Get the car up in the air and sure enough there's a Fram filter from the Walmart TLE.

Changed out to a Hyundai filter as per TSB (we could also go with a WIX or Purolator) and the knock would go away.

Ran into it a couple of times over my career. Shops going with cheap filters and having issues, changed out to good filters and the issues go away.

If it aint the oil filter its the cam bearings. A higher volume oil pump wont cure it.

I blew up 3 engines using Fram filters. :banghead:

No more.... :finga:

Thought I'd use a cheap Fram for my engine break in simply because I would be changing it in 20 min. anyway. The new engine ran what I felt was too long before oil pressure came up. I spun on a Wix and the pressure came up immediately. Wix for me ever since.......in all my vehicles. tmm

LOL I use a Fram and have for ages, wouldnt dream of anything else, mine idles @ around 80 PSI, never a problem.

LOL I use a Fram and have for ages, wouldnt dream of anything else, mine idles @ around 80 PSI, never a problem.

wow, 80 psi at idle, are you running a rod as a relief valve spring? Thats mucho psi at idle! I put wifes minivan 5W-30 oil in my beater Mazda and the oil light is now flickering at idle. Ill go back to straight 30, it never gets under 50 here anyway. Purolater filters (pep boys house is purolater, and most others are WIX) are about the same price as Fram, no need to get the orange ones.....

You are kidding yourself if you think Fram makes good (oil) filters.
You would have a heart attack and die if I said what Oil I use so I will spare you a painful death and not say. Oil and Filters are like tattoo artist, everybody will say the one they use is the best.

Thought I'd use a cheap Fram for my engine break in simply because I would be changing it in 20 min. anyway. The new engine ran what I felt was too long before oil pressure came up. I spun on a Wix and the pressure came up immediately. Wix for me ever since.......in all my vehicles. tmm

Well I was going to replace the filter and oil after 100 miles, that's why I put on the Fram filter. That and it was in the parts bin.
I will put on a wix filter tommaro, and hope to see better oil pressure.
Thanks for all the replys.
If the pressure is still low after the wix filter. I am going to install a HV oil pump. It may not FIX the problem. But I think it will buy me some time.

I use Motorcraft oil filters.....they have bigger holes than most, so they have good flow.

How do you install one wrong?

You crank them so tight it takes dynamite to remove them. This distorts them so the insides fail. Cross thread them works well. Too loose is another good one. For delayed fail, leave the old rubber ring stuck on the adapter. You can leave them on way to long. If you really want trouble use a period correct one from 45 years ago, it will fail no matter who manufactured it.

This is what I meant about the holes...............
I don't know if ya's get RYCO filters over there or not.

Attachments

• IMGP3190.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMGP3191.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 100
-
Back