Can someone identify this SG unit?

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy this SG unit online and i was wondering if you guys/girls know what type of SG unit this is and if it is a cone or clutch type.

The seller says it has been in a bag on a shelf for the last 10 years, so let me know if it looks okay to you guys and girls out there :)

Attachments

• Sure-grip.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 193
That must have been a great deal, this SG unit alone is going for 175. Still not bad i guess. Do you know if it a clutch or cone style unit? Any idea if a SG would go bad (rust) after sitting in a bag for 10 years?

If it's a two piece case, it'a a clutch type. If it's a one piece case, it's a piece of **** Auburn cone type.

I,m not sure on this,but think it,s a conetype.Now I,m not positive on this,but think they stopped putting the clutch type in after 72.I could be wrong though.Swap the gears and your good to go.Offer him $150.

If it's a two piece case, it'a a clutch type. If it's a one piece case, it's a piece of **** Auburn cone type.

Ha ha, StrokerScamp seems to think strongly about the cone type.
If it is a cone type, should i stay away from it? My car will only be used as a cruiser no strip use at all.

Why do people not like the cone type, is it only because they can't be rebuilt?

Ha ha, StrokerScamp seems to think strongly about the cone type.
If it is a cone type, should i stay away from it? My car will only be used as a cruiser no strip use at all.

Why do people not like the cone type, is it only because they can't be rebuilt?

You do not have a choice from the factory. They are fine unless you are going to do a lot of drag racing with slicks. I assume you have an 8 1/4 rear in your car?

Thanks guys, any idea if a SG would go bad after sitting in a bag on a shelf for 10 years (rust..?)

I'm pretty sure the unit hasn't been abused in the past so i think i'll take the risk if the price is right.

You should be fine,it won,t go bad sitting on the shelf.As for StrokerScamps opinion,he talks alot but am yet to see a single pic of any of his past cars to date??Kind of explains it,s self.

Thanks guy, i'll put in an offer on the unit.

Scott "pettybludart" thanks for looking into that gear set you have. Good luck getting your 66 ready for paint :) Do you have a thread up showing the progress?

Okay, i picked up the sure-grip unit last weekend and it all looks to be in pretty good shape. One thing i noticed though... it seems to be missing the spider gear pinion shaft and locking screw.

Can i use the shaft from my 8.25 open diff, and put it in the sure-grip unit? Or are these shafts different? (please see attached illustration)

If they are different, can i buy a pinion shaft and set screw somewhere for cheap (or do any of you guys have one LOL).

The seller was a good guy and i'm sure that if the unit can't be used without the original pinion shaft and set screw that he'd be more than willing to do a refund, but as i mentioned the unit is in good shape and i'd really like to use it. (after cleaning it up)

Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• Axle-problem.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 83
-
Back