Can too much timing cause this noise?

-

UOP

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnFdcW9Kv0k"]RX7 Ford V8 - YouTube[/ame]

Say the balancer had spun and you didn't know it or something like that. Could accidentally having waay too much timing once the mechanical advance kicks in cause the noise in the vid? It's not a mopar but I'm trying to help a kid with his first project (sbf powered rx7) and it's difficult trying to do it over the web. He's asking for help on another board, but since most of the guys (90%) use EFI and just pay a tuner, he's not getting much help. I KNOW the knowledge base for this kind of stuff is strong here so I thought I would ask. What do you think?

Really really hard to tell. If he thinks the timing is AFU first thing to do is get a piston stop and see what the marks are doing

What kind of ECU? Sounds almost (and looking at the tach) that it's against a rev limiter

Sorry, should have been more clear, it's got an Edelbrock carb on it.

Doesn't sound like a timing issue to me, unless that sound was coming from the exhaust? Sounds more mechanical, like something rubbing on something?

P.S. Water pump?

Doesn't sound like a timing issue to me, unless that sound was coming from the exhaust? Sounds more mechanical, like something rubbing on something?

I agree. Sounds almost like an exhaust issue or kind of a slippy, slappy sound. Have him climb under the hood while you drive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuZoVZhxNjk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuZoVZhxNjk[/ame]

That being a ferd,, you know it's timed off the front cyl, pass side,, that'd put the marks wayy off if you're timing it off front cyl driver side,,

Back the timing off, and see if the noise goes away..

images

Good point, but depending on what cam he's running, that may not be the right firing order.

Incidently, if you renumber a Ferd to Chev/ Mopar numbering, and use "Mopar number 2" to time it, it all works out the same LOL

Yep, you're right Del,

If it's a 351W or the 302HO the firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

The the 260/289/302 firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

#1 is still pass front..

It doesn't sound like a timing issue to me. He could pop the belt or belts off and run it and see if it still makes the noise. that rules out a bunch of stuff. Then he can try and check the flywheel/flexplate and see if anything is weird there maybe a bolt loose or something. Then its down to the engine, he could have clearanced the pan with a hammer turned it over by hand and thought it was good. But once the rotating assemble starts moving at higher rpm maybe it rubs the pan slightly.

Just throwing stuff out there. hope he gets it worked out.

It doesn't sound like a timing issue to me. He could pop the belt or belts off and run it and see if it still makes the noise. that rules out a bunch of stuff. Then he can try and check the flywheel/flexplate and see if anything is weird there maybe a bolt loose or something. Then its down to the engine, he could have clearanced the pan with a hammer turned it over by hand and thought it was good. But once the rotating assemble starts moving at higher rpm maybe it rubs the pan slightly.

Just throwing stuff out there. hope he gets it worked out.
Dan has some good ideas with that one. It may be a belt slapping around.

-
Back