Can you fix a motor mount?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I am doing a 318 to 360 swap in my 73 dart. I was planning on using the spool type mounts that were on the 318, but after looking at them it seems the rubber on one of the mount has deteriorated somewhat from age and what not (Weird how one is worse than the other). I understand that I have to put a few washers on one mount, that's no big deal.

Is there any way to fix or modify the mount so I can still use it? Or should I just get new ones. I know schumacher sell them but are very expensive, who else sells them? NAPA or other parts stores?

Get new ones. If I'm looking at the right ones on NAPA, one is $9.00 and the other is $11.00.

I'll stop by tomorrow and see if they have them. But would there be any advantage to buy the more expensive schumacher ones? Or does it not really matter?

I'll stop by tomorrow and see if they have them. But would there be any advantage to buy the more expensive schumacher ones? Or does it not really matter?

Do you like to throw away money? Then go with the NAPA/Rock Auto ones. They're fine...

I dunno about these specific mounts but I have found some cheaper mounts these days that have the wrong durometer hardness on the rubber; they are about worthless. But, for $9 and $11 each, you can change them out like spark plugs!

I dunno about these specific mounts but I have found some cheaper mounts these days that have the wrong durometer hardness on the rubber; they are about worthless. But, for $9 and $11 each, you can change them out like spark plugs!
The replacement inserts I got for the slant were shot in about 2 yrs but they looked like they were on the shelf for 20 yrs :lol: . I don't think they were much better in the 80's-90's. We used to go through mounts like candy on the 4-5 Dodge van's we had at the family business.

I've filled the empty spaces an old blown mount with silicone to get a little more life out of it. That was on a crappy old ford festiva when I was a teenager.

BTW, I race in rallies, and breaking motor mounts is a fairly common issue that ususally ends your rally. Some guys have taken to pouring their own rubber mounts anymore, with hard durometer rubber. That stuff has become available. Making the mold is the hardest part (and does not look all that hard since the mount plates are 2 sides). I'll probably end up doing that for stop strut mounts eventually.

I purchased a two part high durometer urethane rubber from an industrial supply company, and cast a cradle mount for an IRS transmission in my kit car. It worked great. It stopped wheel hop without any noticeable additional vibration.

It has been about 20 years ago, the cost was about $30 for the two quart cans.

Just ended up getting new ones, and a few other things that need to be replaced.

-
Back