Can you guess my cam?

-
In the first video I think the cutouts were open so the only type of muffler involved are a set of 3" straight through dynomax race bullets. They don't do much, but take a bit of the edge off. In the second I may have closed the cutouts and there are a set of magnaflows back there. I usually run it wide open, but will close them from time to time if I'm in a part of town where the cops may bust my chops.

It sounds pretty stout, especially at that rpm. It may very well be a .508" purple, as i have been around several. I'm real curious to what your initial timing is? Anything 12* or under will make a lot of cams in that range sound big...

I just double checked and timing is 24* initial with 40* at 3k. I checked vacuum and at idle the timed vacuum port reads 0, but is 12 at 3k.

Ok so I did some digging through my notes. I came across a couple of numbers. The big one is 509. I know there were some books mentioning a MP 508 and 509 cam that were pretty nasty. The 508 is listed at 248.5* of duration @ .050" lift ground on a 108 LSA. Is it possible that's what I have? The guy I bought it from called it a 509 cam, but the 509 for the small block was a circle track cam from what I remember reading and pretty rare. From what I've read the 508 is a pretty nasty cam.

the big block was the 509. most mopar guys refer tot eh 508 small block cam as the 509 for some reason also..

i always found the 508 to be more streetable then the 284/484 for some reason. that 284/484 is pretty damn lumpy.

Joe's car sounds spot on to what I remember the .508" being like thru mufflers at a idle speed in the 1000/1100 range. Your at 24*, so that may let you idle at the lower rpm? The vacuum number @3000 really doesn't mean much, other then it tells me the "manifold" vac is probably in the mid/high single digits at idle.

Honestly, we're all grasping at straws here. I think your in the [email protected] plus range. If it is indeed a .508" that was dialed in right, it will be soft down low without at least a 3.91 gear and will really be in the sweet spot from 3500 r's up.

I ran a 508 mopar stick for years that cam is a race grind and should be matched with a 4 speed and no power brakes ...I ran it on the street and think it had about 11 lbs vacuum

I ran a 508 mopar stick for years that cam is a race grind and should be matched with a 4 speed and no power brakes ...I ran it on the street and think it had about 11 lbs vacuum

Manual brakes on my car, and 3.91 gears. I have a three speed. I'd love to have more gears but the 4 speed would be a big swap. Did you run vacuum advance or all mechanical?

-
Back