Can you turn a 74-75 Dart into a 70-72?

-

AMC PackRat

Kind of a mopar guy. ;-)
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but I've been looking at a 75 Dart for a while now. I'm not a purist so just want a neat driver and really don't like the larger bumpers on the later cars. So . . . could I make a 75 Dart look kinda like a 70-72 by switching parts around? I have the early bumpers, mounting brackets, and grill. I think I can probably find a hood, latch assy, and valances somewhere. Will everything bolt up or are there some major changes that would be a problem? I'm sure somebody's probably done this before so any info I can get would be helpful.

Yeah, I just saw the thread in the resto section - I knew it was a dumb question - I should have checked first. :toothy9:

Swinger or a Sport? Either can be done. Front is for the most part a bolt on deal. Back end is a bit harder as you need to change out the rear clip. Lot of drilling of spot welds alignment and welding but it still can be done.

I was hoping to not have to swap the fenders on the front - I imagine 70-72 fenders are pretty hard to find. :mrgreen: Swapping the front extensions won't do it, huh? Changing the tail panel looks like a rough deal, too - especially finding one to weld in unless they repro it. Looks like it's not going to be as easy as I thought - swap out grill/hood/latch sppt., bumpers and brackets, fender extensions and valances. OK . . . . gotta ask - can you use the front fenders and is there a repro made for the tail panel? This could be a sweet car for $1000 initial invesment but I can't go out buying $2000 in body parts just to make it into what I want right now. :(

Oh yeah - it's the Swinger/hard top body style.

For a smaller look some like to remove the bumper gaurds. You can also paint the fillers body color.

I was hoping to not have to swap the fenders on the front - I imagine 70-72 fenders are pretty hard to find. :mrgreen: Swapping the front extensions won't do it, huh? Changing the tail panel looks like a rough deal, too - especially finding one to weld in unless they repro it. Looks like it's not going to be as easy as I thought - swap out grill/hood/latch sppt., bumpers and brackets, fender extensions and valances. OK . . . . gotta ask - can you use the front fenders and is there a repro made for the tail panel? This could be a sweet car for $1000 initial invesment but I can't go out buying $2000 in body parts just to make it into what I want right now. :(

Oh yeah - it's the Swinger/hard top body style.

need 70-72 Dart or 71-72 Demon fenders for it to work. You will have to find a used tail panel no one makes them at least not that I know of and if they did they would want to much for them any way.

What's the difference in the fenders that they won't work? I can do minor "adjustments" for a front valance if I had to. This doesn't have to be perfect - think more like cobbled up street car/drag car. :colors:

What's the difference in the fenders that they won't work? I can do minor "adjustments" for a front valance if I had to. This doesn't have to be perfect - think more like cobbled up street car/drag car. :colors:

That I don't know. Maybe?:mrgreen: The difference is in the front. There is a bit of an angle cut where the valance goes and is bolted on and then there are the extentions that are also bolted on. From there back they are the same other than maybe emblem and side marker light placment and style.

I'm not sure I understand this. THE VIN will still show it as original year, so if you sell it you'll have a bastard on your hands. A collector might want one year, but he'll be buying another.

This would be a car for my own personal use - I'd never even think of trying to sell it as something it isn't. It looks like you can't even touch a 70-72 body in decent shape for under $2000 - $3000. You can find running 73-76 cars in that price range, though. Anything I drive except maybe the Shelby Dakotas or AMX are going to be modified anyway. :pirate: I don't think there's a whole lot of collectors out there looking for a 75 Dart with a 318 in it so about the only grief I'd expect to get for making one look like an earlier car is maybe from the Mopar "resto-police". :tongue3: Besides, the later cars have the larger bolt pattern and, more than likely, disc brakes which I'd probably convert a 70-72 to anyway. ;) This way, I could have a daily driver that looks kinda like a rare muscle car but not really have the worries of driving a rare expensive car on the street - 90% of people that saw it wouldn't know the difference, anyway. :mrgreen: I'm going to keep looking into it and try lining up parts - I've had a lot of people tell me you can't put a 69 front end on a 73 Ambassador but if you look at my avatar - yes, you can. :toothy5:

I'm doing it also. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=123298

the entire front end must be changed. the parts are out there you just have to look. I collected parts for a year. the only part that is now made in the aftermarket is the rear valance panel, not the tail panel but the part that goes under the bumper. I'm a firm believer of cutting it up to make it the way you want it so i say if you want to do it, go for it!

That's what I'm talking about. :pirate: I don't think I'll be swapping the whole front of the car in, though (nice work). I see the vinyl roof cars can be a major rust problem - I'll have to check that area pretty close before I buy one. Finally got through to the guy with the Dart - bonehead sold the car a couple weeks ago but is still running adds for it in 3 cities . . . . . I'll just have to keep looking - I'm sure something will pop up now that I have a little more range of years to sort through. ;-)

Well Normally you wouldn't swap the inner fenders and framerails etc. but mine were rusted pretty bad so its just something I did. And by total chance the vin on the rad support of the new one was also a 74

Yeah - that's a lot more work than I'd want to do on one - that's for sure. :glasses8: I'm thinking if the early grill and hood latch assy. will fit physically where the original parts are I'd only have to fab up a front valance out of sheet aluminum to make it look right. I've got to look a little closer at the fenders and extensions, though. 70-72 fenders and extensions can get a little pricey from what I've seen. :(

I guess I could always go fiberglass with the fenders if they make them.

It really Only takes 3 things...... Imagination, time, and money.... Now having all 3 at the same time is hard part.....

I gave a guy all the parts I'd need to do the front end off a 71 Dart I parted about 20 years ago. Actually it was 2 fenders, a hood, two doors, and a trunk lid - all rust-free. He stuck them in a shed and they're probably still there. I bet he'd want at least $1000 for them if I wanted them back, though . . . . . . . . :angry1:

-
Back