Canada?

-

68 Tuna Fish

Reaction score
Hello again everybody.
I took my '68 to the vintage races at Elkhart Lake this past weekend & had a great time. Met Wayne Carini too. Fine weather, nice cars, & pretty women. It doesn't get any better than that.
Anyway, I chatted with a guy (self proclaimed MOPAR expert), & he asked me what color my engine block was. My car has a '71 cuda engine & tranny. I told him it was blue. According to him, that block was made in Canada & was stronger than the orange American version. I've never heard this. Any info on this claim?

Hello again everybody.
I took my '68 to the vintage races at Elkhart Lake this past weekend & had a great time. Met Wayne Carini too. Fine weather, nice cars, & pretty women. It doesn't get any better than that.
Anyway, I chatted with a guy (self proclaimed MOPAR expert), & he asked me what color my engine block was. My car has a '71 cuda engine & tranny. I told him it was blue. According to him, that block was made in Canada & was stronger than the orange American version. I've never heard this. Any info on this claim?
I know Canadian beer is stronger than that of our good friends to the South. This is first I've heard of Canadian blocks being stronger, eh! Not saying it isnt possible, but its sure not probable.

They need to be stronger to withstand the frigid winters here!

Yeah....... sounds like an "armchair mechanic to me". In over 40 years of turning wrenches, some of that professionally, I've heard a lot of things, but never anything like that. We have some models of GM products that are Canadian only, that is a result of an Auto pact from the 1960's, thus the Pontiac Beaumont, a close relative of the Chevrolet Chevelle, as well as a couple of others, and why a lot of Pontiacs were born with Chevy engines in the '60s.
That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are!!

Nope. But if you wanted to punch out a 318 to 360 my engine builder said to find a truck engine. Premium block were his exact words. Even gave me casting numbers to look for. That was 20 plus years ago,forgot the numbers....

Nope. But if you wanted to punch out a 318 to 360 my engine builder said to find a truck engine. Premium block were his exact words. Even gave me casting numbers to look for. That was 20 plus years ago,forgot the numbers....
I know personally of 318 blocks that have gone over 4.0 bore. Early blocks like 68-69, and of course must be sonic checked. These with a big stroker crank made 434ci.

I'd say hes talking about the 340 gaining the better flowing thermoquad intake and carberator in 71.

Its true !
The reason being is because the Canadian foundries employ off season hockey players instead of panty waste football/baseball players !
Lol

-
Back