Canadian dollar at par with U.S. dollar

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Today the Canadian dollar is at par with the American dollar,they say it will be up above for a couple years.Now,s the time to buy that west coast(rust-free) A-body you always wanted!:cheers:

So my Canadian money is in good to go that 70dart sent me

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20014.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20013.jpg

Hang on to them MeMike,they,ll be worth more in the future.

This is not good news for big Canadian companys selling to the US.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Hughes Engines here I come, perfect timing.:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

The prime rate may be at par but the banks and credit cards still screw you with the exchage rates and foreign currency fees.

Where might that be? I get hosed when I travel to Canada and use my US credit card or when I try to cash in Canadian currency back here in the US.

My wifes employer sells us the US dollars at whatever the rate is that day, no 2% charge like at the banks. The banks up here do the same as down there, 2-3% fees just to convert US back to Can$. They figure they've got a god given right to your money.
I never cash in US dollars for Can$, I just put it away for next time.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Hughes Engines here I come, perfect timing.:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Hughes Engines? You replacing the 440? Or is this another project? Ok,enuff with the questions.8)

Not where I buy my US dollars.

I sure would be interested in this.... paid the bank the usual rip off of 3 percent (they claim that this is a perferred rate) to purchase some US dollars for the trip to Las Vegas.

Banks sure know how to make $$$$$.

Maybe its about time to do what the Europeons have done with the Euro and start a North American Dollar.

Just a thought

I sure would be interested in this.... paid the bank the usual rip off of 3 percent (they claim that this is a perferred rate) to purchase some US dollars for the trip to Las Vegas.

Banks sure know how to make $$$$$.

Maybe its about time to do what the Europeons have done with the Euro and start a North American Dollar.

Just a thought

This is what all Canadian members should do if shopping on line in US$ or travelling in the states.
First go to your bank and get either a no fee US dollar visa or a US$ mastercard (not american express they suck) and have the card linked to your on line banking site.
While you're at the bank open a US dollar chequing account and have it linked to your on line banking site.
Any purchases in the states using the US$ card (never use this card in Canada) will be billed to you in US dollars.
Before paying off the card bill, on line, transfer the required Canadian dollars from your Canadian dollar chequing account to your US dollar chequing account, You'll pay a 1% (not 2 or 3) fee for the transfer plus whatever the exchange is that minute. Now simply go on line and transfer the money from the US$ chequing account to US$ credit card which should be on the same page. You can also do this transfer at the bank teller but I'm not sure what they'd charge maybe 1.5%.
If you need US$ cash simply go to your bank and withdraw it from your US$ chequing account with no fee.

This is great advice Terry. It really upsets me what Visa charges above the actual exchange rate.

PayPal is decent in that they do not "pile on" the added fees for currency exchange.

I am contemplating a major road/camping trip down to Yosemite once I get working and back on my feet. The route passes through Reno, NV and Summit has said that they would purposely ship an order for pickup at that specific store. Of course, the state sales tax would get added but it would still be cheaper than shipping fees and customs clearance fees.

You can bring $750 Cdn per adult across the border duty free if you are gone at least 7 days. There is also no duty on American-made auto parts, per an e-mail on this subject I received from the office of my Member of Parliament. (He is a friend.)

If you exceed the allotted duty-free amount and the parts are American made, they are subject to the 5% Going South Tax (GST).

Last week I cashed in $260 US and got $257 Canadian. That was at my bank with the Canadian $ at $0.97 US. Today I use PayPal to send $76.97 US and it cost me $79.08 Cdn. That's with the Canadian dollar at $1.003 US.

No matter how you slice it, your screwed.

QUOTE=demon seed;886087]My wifes employer sells us the US dollars at whatever the rate is that day, no 2% charge like at the banks. The banks up here do the same as down there, 2-3% fees just to convert US back to Can$. They figure they've got a god given right to your money.
I never cash in US dollars for Can$, I just put it away for next time.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! May as well save it for the next trip rather than getting taken for a ride by the bank.

Bank greed makes me angry.:angry7::angry7::angry7:

According to what they said on TV, the prices will not change right away so two same cars, one Canadian and one American still have different prices, as do other articles.
J.G.

If I need large amounts I just go to a guy who runs a Currency Exchange in the downtown stock exchange district (sells at that day rates). My buddy who seems to get large amounts of skunky smelling US 10's & 20's bills introduced me to him :profilel:

-
Back