Canadian Valiant V8 Engine Color

-

Cuda Tom

Reaction score
Trying to duplicate the original look to the engine block in a 1965 Canadian Valiant Signet V8 Hardtop. I've seen in pictures of what seem to be old original cars, both Red and "Hemi Orange-ish". My car had somewhere along the way had the entire block and trans painted a weird red, but underneath seems to be more orange than red.
Also, is the large alternator bracket black or engine color. Again, I've seen both.
Any help? Very little data available on the Canadian cars. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Chrysler Industrial Red is the correct color. It does turn slightly orange with heat and age.

1497894-c50d0aaa4ceda68f1833c7fb161b4aa2.jpg

I went through this 12 years ago when I rebuilt my 273. 4spdragtop above has the correct shade. I used Duplicolor which is the same shade. chrysler industrial red engine paint - Google Search
The distributor is original paint although it's 40 years old. The oil filter adapter was painted with a older shade of International Harvester red which is incorrect. The oil pan is the Chrysler Industrial red which is correct. (or the Mopar paint above) And yes, it has just a hint of orange.

engine 166.jpg

engine 206.jpg

Maan I love the look of those valvecovers on the red!
So it being a Canadian car means it was built in Windsor?

Another good match when the Mopar paint cannot be found is International Harvester Red.

Now, Tom... play nice. Pics of the whole car? Those are two different underhood shots. One has a hard washer bottle, the other is a bag.

Yeah, I'm busting on you here. poke, poke, jab, jab. LoL

BTW- I'm home nearly everyday except Wednesdays and Sunday mornings, so whenever you wanna come grab that rear, just hit me up.

Pics dont do justice when aiming for a color. Mine has no tint/sign of orange. I'll get a pic of intake painted 4-5 yrs ago with the MP red in a spray can.
I went through this 12 years ago when I rebuilt my 273. 4spdragtop above has the correct shade. I used Duplicolor which is the same shade. chrysler industrial red engine paint - Google Search
The distributor is original paint although it's 40 years old. The oil filter adapter was painted with a older shade of International Harvester red which is incorrect. The oil pan is the Chrysler Industrial red which is correct. (or the Mopar paint above) And yes, it has just a hint of orange.

View attachment 1716070499

View attachment 1716070500

Pics dont do justice when aiming for a color. Mine has no tint/sign of orange. I'll get a pic of intake painted 4-5 yrs ago with the MP red in a spray can.
Here's mine after 12 years and for sure, pics don't capture the color well.

Battery topper2.jpg

Here's mine after 12 years and for sure, pics don't capture the color well.

View attachment 1716070619
When are you going to get the correct thermostat cover and upper hose? :poke::lol: Oh, and they only used one heater hose strap, and they used a short piece of heater hose as a cushion between the under side of the hoses and the strap. Still looks good though!

I know that this might be off kilter but all three of my only US sold and titled Darts were built in Windsor - why would chrysler paint the Canada destined motors a different color???

By the way, at an all makes car show a few years ago in Port Angeles WA they assigned all the classes after talking to owners. Imagine my surprise when I got a trophy for... Best Import. Somebody knew what was up!

I know that this might be off kilter but all three of my only US sold and titled Darts were built in Windsor - why would chrysler paint the Canada destined motors a different color???

By the way, at an all makes car show a few years ago in Port Angeles WA they assigned all the classes after talking to owners. Imagine my surprise when I got a trophy for... Best Import. Somebody knew what was up!
Interesting, I thought all the engines were built in the same plant.

When are you going to get the correct thermostat cover and upper hose? :poke::lol: Oh, and they only used one heater hose strap, and they used a short piece of heater hose as a cushion between the under side of the hoses and the strap. Still looks good though!
Yep, that t stat housing was on it when I got it. I have a cast one here somewhere but if I blast and paint it I'm afraid the paint won't match so the wrong one can stay. The hose was just one I picked out that was the right size and bends. I needed one and nobody in town had the right one. I didn't know about the heater hose straps. I just put new straps back the way the old ones came off.

-
Back