Canister on the passenger side fender?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I do not have and pictures at the moment but I have been wondering what the canister was for on the inside of the passenger fender. It is up next to the radiator so I thought possibly an overflow tank but it has a metal line coming out of the bottom and running to the bottom of the car. The car is a 1973 Swinger btw.

Lose it, and at the same time, add a vapor separator style fuel filter to your gas line, close to the carb.
Plumb the oriface nipple of that to the steel line vacated by the canister and you'll get rid of 95% of any vapor lock issues you may have.

Lose it, and at the same time, add a vapor separator style fuel filter to your gas line, close to the carb.
Plumb the oriface nipple of that to the steel line vacated by the canister and you'll get rid of 95% of any vapor lock issues you may have.

What type of filter is that? I am have a couple in line filters sitting around and an old canister filter.

The problem with this idea is that line is your TANK VENT. You need to provide an additional vent of some sort. Some here advocate a vented cap, but that exposes you to gas puking out over the fender under some conditions.

A vapor return is a good idea if you are experiencing vapor lock/ fuel boiling. You don't need a hem filter. Wix Makes them in 5/16 or 3/8 line with a 1/4 return orifice I believe 33040 / 33041 are the numbers

The problem with this idea is that line is your TANK VENT. You need to provide an additional vent of some sort. Some here advocate a vented cap, but that exposes you to gas puking out over the fender under some conditions.

A vapor return is a good idea if you are experiencing vapor lock/ fuel boiling. You don't need a hem filter. Wix Makes them in 5/16 or 3/8 line with a 1/4 return orifice I believe 33040 / 33041 are the numbers

This would require dropping the tank and adding a fitting correct?

This would require dropping the tank and adding a fitting correct?

"Maybe" I haven't done much with the later cars. The ones that had the trunk vapor separator, you could "tap into" that. But the later cars had "that function" in the tank, with only one line coming out. If you could drop the tank and pull out the filler tube, you could duplicate the 69/ earlier vent which was simple.....Just a 1/4" tap high up on the filler tube, bent up high to top of quarter panel, then run down, through the seal, and end inside the frame rail

If you don't want to yank that all out, and IF you don't mind a clamped connection in your trunk, you could use a tube cutter and cut the filler tube in the trunk.

On my 67 I did this: Drained the tank, and plumbed my MIG CO2 tank and regulator to the supply tube, let it flow until gas fumes were forced out the top. I verified this by putting a tube on the factory vent, and "could not light" it anymore. Had an extended tube coming off that several feet a way.

Then letting the CO2 continue to flow, I punched, not drilled, a hole in the face of the tank above the axle, and just silver brazed it in place.

YOU CAN ALSO GET an aftermarket sender with two fittings. Use the one for your return, leave the factory 1/4" line for the vent

In any case you need a vent

vent.jpg

-
Back