Can't decide on how to go.....help

-

Dotmann

Reaction score
Ok, guys, here's my dilema - I have a 68 Barracuda notch that I'm doing for primarily the street, but will also see the strip occasionally. Right now, I can't decide whether I should go with my fresh small block and automatic, which the car was originally, or I have a complete, minus trans hump, 4-speed setup for the small block. I also have access to a complete (needing rebuilding) '70 440 (but no trans). So, help me move off-center. Which way would you go? The 440 is awfully tempting, but much more costly, initially (although I think I'd make my money back if I ever sold the car:scratch:). The small block is ready to go and converting it to a 4-speed isn't really a big deal. I'm stuck!:scratch:

I'd go with the smallblock/ fourspeed combo. Enough of boring automatics. Real men change their own gears. With the 440 you'd need new mounts, tranny, linkage,etc.

Big block! The more gas guzzling high performance aftermarket crap you can pile on it the more the unmolested bone stock ones go up in value..
Ahhh the aroma of alterior motive. LOL

Well, I'm not going to help matters much by casting my vote for the;

Small block automatic set up.

WHY?

You have all the parts on hand, ready to go without any time to stop the project and fab something up and work out the bugs. No matter how big or small the bugs are.

Now don't get me wrong, I love to row my own boat, but unless your good, as in reallllly good, an auto is faster.

I agree with the small block/auto setup. Sticks are great for the strip, but get tiring on the street in a hurry. Big blocks are cool, but not in an A body, unless somebody has everything started, or done for you.

When looking for a Barracuda, I decided on the small block for better handling, lower cost, easier to work on. Both cars were turnkey. The 440 (transplanted) car was tempting though. It comes down to personal choice.

If you want a street car to have fun in - a nice small block 4-speed a-body is the only way to go IMO. A bigblock makes for less handling in the a-body, which is what makes a-bodies great - you can make them fast and have good handling.

DOTMan, You're in Central CT? Anywhere near CCSU? I am going to school there part time! Ever go to the Berlin Trunpike? :D
Lots of CT folks on here. :cool:

I think you'll have an awesome machine no matter which way you go but I would lean towards the small block/auto setup too. It seems to me that you can build this car to be as fast as you want with this setup and it will indeed be MUCH cheaper. In a B-Body, the bigblock would be a no-brainer but you're pushing around a 1/4 ton less with these machines so a small block is just wonderful.

The biggest thing that I have taken away from from my time with my modded Miatas is that balance is actually the thing that determines how enjoyable a car is. If you have tons of power, you'd better have awesome suspension and huge brakes...neither of which these cars tend to have. Also, offsetting the feel from the extreme nose-heavy weight distribution would be all but impossible. On the drag strip it would be okay but when you have any turns at all, I suspect that the small block would be a lot more pleasurable to drive.

The big blocks weight can be reduced preeeettty good, but there is alot of effort in the whole deal.

Ya gotta want it bad in order to do it.

The S/B & auto are ready to go. Why not?

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm leaning toward the small block / auto combination only because, as many pointed out, that everything's already there. Besides, we're getting some significant power out of the small blocks. Keeping it simple and reliable is also high on my list. The Dart in the avitar (my son's car) is getting a new bullet under the hood and the 363 that's in that car will most likely be in the Fish when all's said and done.

MRGTX - I live in Wolcott (between Southington and Waterbury). We're frequent flyers to the Pike on Saturday nights and can usually be found sitting around with the rest of the crew at the entrance to the cruise area at Burger King, in Newington. Stop by.

Meanwhile, this week will be spent thrashing the Dart to get ready for Richmond (VA) next weekend. We're going to try to run with the F.A.S.T. guys, for our first time and be there to give the rest of the MOPAR camp support. There's supposed to be some incredably fast Chevys (and a Buick) showing up to do battle, so the MOPAR and Ford guys had better come prepared. Wish us luck!

Again, thanks again for the advice, guys. I'll keep you posted. :headbang:

Dennis

I am in the same boat.

I have a 67 notchback, mini tubbed, 8 pt cage, subframe connectors, ss springs, pinion snubber, 4 wheel disks.

Now I have a 360 that i'd love to buld a wicked stroker out of and the car will be primarily street driven.

I also have a 833, four speed, and have already welded in a four speed hump.

I was kicking around the idea of a big block since my buddy has one ready to go, and my 360 is not even prepped for assembly, but I have decided to go with the small block as the big block will definitely be too much of a pain in the butt with fitment issue with headers, mounts and all the other stuff associated with big blocks.

Don't get me wrong, I love the massive power of big block A bodies, but I think I'll stick with the killer small block for handling and all around less trouble.

I am even contemplating a cable shifted automatic for the future, but since the hump is there, I better stick to the original four speed plan.

Gosh, this car is gonna be fun some day.

Good luck.

cuda28.jpg

cuda28.jpg

cuda28.jpg

-
Back