Can't disconnect my steering box??

-
If im understanding what your trying to do, i just did this so i could change things out on a 73 sport a couple days ago, there is another really small pin at top of the coupler it sits flush with outside of coupler but sticks into one side and catches. You have to take the top cap loose and slide up on shaft to see it. once you get this very small pin pushed out flush with inside of coupler the coupler and box should come right off. other wise just take loose and drop the column and slide it back into the car some and the coupler will come off the splineson the box. hope this is of some help and that im understanding what you need. but stay tuned because im sure someone else might have a better idea or some trick of some sort. theres some really helpful people here.

You don't have to do anything except remove the one large pin to get the coupler off the box. They are often stuck/ rusted, use your imagination. Careful prying with a screwdriver/ small crowbar will usually move it up some, then stick a big end wrench or crescent in there to get more "purchase"

And of course, remove the column bolts 'n stuff, and "hang" the column temporarily with string/ wire from the dash so that it's free to move.

pickle fork works great for getting a rusted stuck coupler off the shaft.:toothy8:

Just did this on mine. I removed the big pin pryed a little with a screwdriver then made sure nothing was hung up and gave the column a little jerk and there it was in my lap. I'm sure like said above it was just a little stuck on there is all.

pickle fork works great for getting a rusted stuck coupler off the shaft.:toothy8:
Agreed! If you don't have one, a couple of big cold chisels the same size, wedged on each side of the input shaft work good too. I wouldn't take the coupler apart unless it needs to be rebuilt.

Yep, a BFH and Pickle Fork have been my new favorite tools for removing 40 year steering/suspension parts. Guessing I may need it to get my coupler loose when I get to it this weekend.

IMG_4473.jpg

:prayer:

If you haven't went into one of those box couplings before and dont need to, Dont take the top off of it.
The bottle cap like crimp design that holds that cap in place is the most agravating thing Ma Mopar ever birthed.

-
Back