Can't fill up

-

lefty

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel tank in my Demon because the tank was absolutely filthy with rust and other crud.
Problem is, when I go to the pump to fill up, the tank will only accept 8-9 gallons. I try to get more in, but the nozzle clicks off when I squeeze the handle.

The tank is the same size as the one it replaced.

I installed everything to the way it was before removal(to the best of my knowledge).

The evap. stuff was long gone when I got the car, so the vent tube from the fuel sending unit is open, and not hooked to anything if that makes a difference.

What possible screw-ups could I make to cause this? Any advice is appreciated.

sounds like the vent tube is clogged,there should be a vent tube connected to the filler tube the end of it may be clogged

I have cars that do this sometimes. Have you tried holding the nozzle upside down or sideways?

Have this same problem with my '66 Valiant. If I put the nozzle in the filler neck normally I can only get a half tank in before gas starts running all over the place. If I put the nozzle in the filler neck upside down I can fill the tank completely. Don't know what causes this but it works for me. It's just a PITA to use my thumb to squeeze the handle. Hope this helps and why don't you try it and let us know how it works for you.

-
Back