Can't Find My Oil Filter Wrenches Anywhere Today

-
I forgot to mention, this is '65 Signet convertible I'm working on today. I used a cheap ratcheting tie down strap. Did not need the ratchet. After cleaning the dirt and grime from the filter surface, I wrapped the strap around 3 times and just pulled up. It was much easier than using an oil filter wrench!

Then it took me another 20 minutes more to find the oil filter I knew I had in my hands just a couple of days ago (lol).

IMG_0583.jpg

Then it took me another 20 minutes more to find the oil filter I knew I had in my hands just a couple of days ago (lol).
Ya did better than me! I couldn't find my stash of new oil filters for the JD mower last week, so I had to run into town and buy a new one.

Of course when I was cleaning-up I remembered where I put them. :BangHead:

Ya did better than me! I couldn't find my stash of new oil filters for the JD mower last week, so I had to run into town and buy a new one.

Of course when I was cleaning-up I remembered where I put them. :BangHead:
I don't know about your JD, but mine with the Kawasaki is a turd to get to. I have one that is a bit longer which helps and I found a fluted cup style wrench for the end of the filter.

I don't know about your JD, but mine with the Kawasaki is a turd to get to. I have one that is a bit longer which helps and I found a fluted cup style wrench for the end of the filter.
Nah! This one's a piece of cake to get to (zoomed-in interwebs pic below). Hardest part is remembering to set the brake pedal, and finding the special drain pan that fits between the front wheels and the mower deck underneath.

JD Filtwer.JPG

Last time I bought Wix filters I had to buy the Chinesium ones (my picture):

IMG_6602.JPG

But this time I found actual Made in USA filters (no pics), so I may just use this latest receipt to take some of the Chinesium ones back to O'Reilly's

Changed the oil for the first time in my wife's Jeep, warrantee finally ran out.
Did not have a filter wrench to fit it, so a trip to the parts store.
Owners manual said it took 4.5 qts, liars it took 5.5 so another trip to the parts store.
She is happy, it cost her less than the dealership charges. Not much to do it.

Another shout out to the local Chrysler dealer, took my truck in for state inspection.
No charge, they stated all safety inspections were free, saved me 20 bucks.

I've always found that the easiest way to find missing tools or supplies is to buy more. Sometimes just ordering them will cause the missing ones to appear, usually though they wait until you've used the new ones (making them unreturnable) that you find the old ones. Generally when you decide on that special spot to put the new one so you can find it again next time.

needed the oil filter wrench I used for the daily driver to replace the shower filter. couldn't find it in the house and since I've been rearranging the garage, I figured finding it in there in the next six months would be hopeless. gave up. today, I'm downstairs moving stuff around in the tool box...BINGO! the wrench is in the "metric" drawer because the drain plug is metric. used it and put it back there. hope I remember that's where it's at in another month when it's oil change time. oh yeah, I'm sure the new ride is metric also.

I use a medium sized rubber "strap wrench".

The best part is infinite clocking.

I don't even own filter wrenches of any style anymore.

1726744946297.png

... Don't really want to use the screwdriver stab...

I tried that on my first car, a 1964 Dodge Polara 318 Poly. The metal did not hold and cut the filter in two. Had to have it towed to a local mechanic to get the filter base off. Those guys must have had a good laugh.

I tried that on my first car, a 1964 Dodge Polara 318 Poly. The metal did not hold and cut the filter in two. Had to have it towed to a local mechanic to get the filter base off. Those guys must have had a good laugh.
same here, first oil change small block 68 Camaro with headers. had to use a screwdriver but I was lucky it loosened it just enough to remove the whole (holey) filter.

You just brought back horrible memories, when my sister asked me to change oil in the "new to her corvette"
Damn oil filter was so tight, oil filter wrench crushed the oil filter, then the screwdriver trick did not work.
Ended up it took an air-chisel to spin the base of the filter off.

To this day I hate that vette, another good one is changing a water pump, the huge one-piece radiator shroud on it, is a GM engineering marvel, of stupidity.

-
Back