Can't fix stupid......

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Was a nice sunny 70* day here in the Pacific Northwest. Good day for a bike ride. Just put some new blinkers on it, had to revamp some wiring. Got about 7 miles from home and it crapped out.

The coils

View attachment IMG_3879 (Medium).jpg

are supposed to have cover over them. But I have no idea where it is.

I was chasing an electrical gremlin

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=232390

and was sure it had resurfaced. After getting it running I started to head home. It did not act up again so I figured I would push my luck. Got about 4 miles past our road and it dies again. Turned around, got it started and headed home. Died about 1000 feet from our neighbor hood. Could not help but notice that the key for a pad lock was stuck between the coil and the mount.

View attachment IMG_3877 (Medium).jpg
View attachment IMG_3880 (Medium).jpg

I took the key off the ring and went 60 or so miles with out an issues.

View attachment IMG_3882 (Medium).jpg

Now that it hopefully will not be on the back of the trailer to get home any more I will fire up the pressure washer and give it a much needed bath......

That would bite. How hard will it be to find a new cover or is it just misplaced?

Covers are part of the upper motor/coil mount package. They were unique. I have to replace the upper mount, coil mount, ignition switch mount, choke cable mount and finally the covers. Have been watching E-bay hoping to find someone selling one like the one I have but so far no luck. It was discontinued several years ago so.....

I know what container I put them in when I took them off the bike a while ago. Needless to say they were not in the container.......

In the mean time I just need to have only the bike key on a ring.

Covers are part of the upper motor/coil mount package. They were unique. I have to replace the upper mount, coil mount, ignition switch mount, choke cable mount and finally the covers. Have been watching E-bay hoping to find someone selling one like the one I have but so far no luck. It was discontinued several years ago so.....

I know what container I put them in when I took them off the bike a while ago. Needless to say they were not in the container.......

In the mean time I just need to have only the bike key on a ring.

That sounds like me. I know I have what I am looking for but who knows where I put it for safe keeping.

Ink, it took you too long to put the scooter back together. The cover grew legs because it was tired of waiting and walked down the road. LMAO...Bill

At least ,you found the problem(cheaply,too.... ). Nice bike.It sucks,when you do all that work,and something small aggrevates.

Ink, it took you too long to put the scooter back together. The cover grew legs because it was tired of waiting and walked down the road. LMAO...Bill

That would explain the odd looking foot prints in the snow this past winter :wink:

They are probably in a box with the rest of the stuff that we have not been able to find since moving up here. I did tear all the boxes in the garage open and had a quick look....did not see them but it does not mean they are not there. After all, I could spend 20 minutes looking for keys only to find them clipped to my belt....:violent1:

At least ,you found the problem(cheaply,too.... ). Nice bike.It sucks,when you do all that work,and something small aggrevates.

Thanks....trouble shooting 101, never overlook the obvious....or in my case don't be so oblivious......

Lol! Whoops! Good thing that short didn't smoke your ignition box.

Luckily the key was finding its way into the battery side of the coils, no the side going to the box....There was a woman outside doing yard work where I realized what was wrong. Was laughing hard enough for my eyes to water. She came walking out and offered me the use of her driveway and to see what was so funny. How many people break down and start laughing about it??

come on you can make that cover...look around the garage...:)

Very well might make something. Good excuse to mess with the tig welder....

Even if the welds don't come out perfect on the made cover, it might look cool covered in some nice wide stiched black leather... just a thought.

Nice of the woman to let a tattoed, Harley riding lauging madman use her driveway, lol! Most times it's not the destination, but the ride.

-
Back