Cant get a idler arm for my car????

-
For a 72 /6 car:

Moog - Idler Arm
Part # : K7042

Rare Parts - Idler Arm
Part # : 20253 - This one looks close to it.

Check your drivers door, your might be an early 73, so might still be using a 72 style idler arm.

Well the Moog one and the rare parts one look different.

You have the Moog one right? I know the rare parts one is pretty spendy. Let me check with Gene and we can jump a few few junkyards here to see if we can come up with something. I am almost convinced that the rare parts one is going to be the one you need. Might help if you could locate a part number on the one that is on your car.

1/19/2011 - I've read most of the messages you've gotten on the idler arm and agree with "Damimcooltom", which sounds like he might be a parts guy. I owned a parts store for nearly 30yrs back in the 50's - 70's and know that you can probably forget working with AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, O'Reilly's, and Pep Boys..they are primarily parts which are what we call "Wax, Shine, & Replace" type parts stores. What you want is a good, older parts store with a great warehouse behind it.. someone like a NAPA store. or a local Mom & Pop Auto Parts store that's been around for many years. Your Moog part number should be helpful in identifying many other parts on your car, so try to remember the basic description of what they identify your basic Chassis is described as. MOST industry front end parts are either manufactuered by Moog or McQuay-Norris... of old. You could also try searching either or both of these companies & calling them for help.
Good luck, your part really should be pretty simple to locate. I'm looking for parts for my '63 Dodge Dart (A body) convertible, w/power steering...and so far have had good luck in finding everything I need either on eBay or direct from an older parts provider at National Swap Meets for my brand of car. Good luck, Best to you, BILL-Cols,OH

Looks like the new one at Rare Parts is almost 100, but Rare parts lists CH3402846 as the correct one, matches the part number in your auction.

20270.jpg

Does this one looks closer to your picture.

No. That one is like the one i bought at autozone. It curves to the side. It is not the right shape and wont work. I already tried it. I returned it to the store already. But it is not long enough and is different angles for the bolt to go in.

Take it to Napa, the 1st one will be wrong, unless you find somebody with a brain that functions, and they know about the catalog, with pictures in it.

Well, my idea well has dried up. I will get over to Gene's this weekend and see if we have any over there that might work.

Did you ever find an idler arm for your car? I have a really good used one off a 36k mile original car that looks like the one on your car.

Here's a couple pictures of the one from my 74 Swinger.

Attachments

• DSCF0126 (Medium).JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF0123 (Medium).JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF0127 (Medium).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 140
Thanks to 67GTConvert, I got the idler arm for my car.
The only problem is, I have not got to install it yet. I was putting it on the one day, and found out you do have to lift the motor to get the one bolt out. Just like dart0571 said.
Can someone tell me how to lift the motor, or a way to get it out easier.

I removed the nut on the passenger side motor mount, and lifted the engine at an angle. I also used some clamps to push the motor away from the fender but it probably isn't necessary. For safety I would put a block of wood between the motor mount and k frame in case something slips. Also I heard you can install the bolt the other way to make it easier in the future but I didn't do this because it looked like the bolt would hit the engine.
View attachment DSC01850.jpg

That is the same way I tried to do mine. The mount would not let loose though. I had the car lifted clear off the ground with the motor, and it still would not budge with me jumping on it it. (over 200 pounds)

-
Back