Can't Get Fuel To The Holley Red

-

3yearcuda

Reaction score
I installed my electric pump (Holley Red) with a filter between it and the tank, then 3/8 line to the carb with another filter in between. I cant get the pump to draw from the tank of my 69 Barracuda. Thought it might be the pump but it will suck fine from a jerry can, so i know its not the pump. The line (rubber fuel line) is clear from the tank to the pump. I know the tank itself is clean inside but took out the float unit, checked it over and put it back in months ago prior to putting the tank back in. Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong inside the tank? Is there anything that can go wrong in the tank float unit? Thought I would ask prior to draining and dropping the tank back out. Thanks for your help.

Are you sure the rubber line isn't pinching off under pressure? I'm not sure but it doesn't sound right using rubber line with a high pressure pump.

I had this problem when i put the Holley blue on my duster..she would work but not suck gas. It ended up being the inlet tube on the pickup was clogged. I replaced it with another i had and there were no problems after that.

that thing should suck a golf ball thru a garden hose.......check the pickup maybe the mud dobbers got in there...........

Believe it or not, but you almost need to prime these pumps sometimes. I have ran a few of these. Try pulling the hose off after the pump and lower than the tank. Just to get the fuel through the pump and then try it.

Thanks all. I will siffon off the gas tonight and pull out the guts. Maybe plugged inlet tube or sock, etc. I took the line off after the pump and took a draw on it, all i got was a little bit of gas and certainly seemed like there was resistance there. Just enough to get that nice gas taste on the lips. I'll update all tommorow on how it goes. Hoping to not have to drop the tank out completely. Thanks again.

Don't do what i did with my holley HP-125.

I mounted it nicely with the pretty laser etched writing facing out so it looked good but when I turned it on I blew bubbles into my tank......I had it backwards....LOL!!!!!

I donlt know what I was thinking and I swore I had it right before I bolted it in but the writing was only one one side so that's what got me so I had to flip it around which covered up the fancy writing, now it looks kinda bland.

I wish the knuckleheads would have put the fancy writing on both sides for left or right applications...doh!

Hey3yearcuda, is your tank vented by any chance?

DusterBD451 you nailed it. I drained the tank, pulled out the float assembly and sure enough, inlet tube plugged off right at that 90 degree dogleg. I got the old crud out of it and all is good. Pump sucks like an ol' %$#$. Thanks everyone for all you thoughts. much appreciated.

-
Back