Can't get my steering wheel apart!

-

baucco

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a 73 Valiant,225/6 Auto on column and need to replace my ignition. I've got the steering wheel stripped down to the point where I removed the snap ring and can get no further.Any help out there? Thanks! Dan

Not sure which snap ring you speak of. There is a plate with notches in it thats part of the wheel locking mechanism. You that far down yet ?
Upper bearing comes up with the housing once 3 screws are removed. Signal switch has 3 screws too. You'll need the signal wand to move the switch and access one of those screws.
Any of this help?

A puller tool is often required to get the upper section of the column off in order to access the switch. If it's been off before you might be able to wiggle it off without the tool. If a tool is required, you'll likely need to make one.

Scroll down this page for pics: http://70duster440.com/interior.html

Thanks for the help guys! I've only gotten as far as removing the snap ring around the column itself,the ts switch is out of the way and I have a little room to move the top piece of the housing. I haven't been able to move the large toothed gear behind the first half of the housing yet,not enough clearance for the tool that my auto shop guy suggested. I think I'll have to make something based on the same principle.

The upper bearing is hidden under a dust seal. It is nothing more than a glorified bicycle wheel bearing. Spray a dab of WD-40 in it ?
The ring over wheel lock doesn't have the lil holes for a snap ring tool. I just dig it out of its groove with a pic.

Thanks Red,
I was afraid of damaging the bearing,so it didn't try to force it out but i did wd40 it. I'll try to pop it out today.

Hey Red! Your tip worked! Got the seal out and the upper housing off,now I am at the toothed locking ring you spoke of but it seems to be pressed on,no pin to knock out for removal. Any ideas? Thanks for the help! I wanna drive!

There's a collar on the lock that needs to be pried off. The roll pin is under that. Go back and look at my pics.

There's a collar on the lock that needs to be pried off. The roll pin is under that. Go back and look at my pics.

That sounds right too.
You really should be using a service manual for this job.
I worked for the used car dept. for several years so my memory recall
might mix a little Ford or GM in proceedure or part description. Sorry
about that.
Forums are a good place for questions like "how to do this without special tool number 3837465837256 as stated in manual.
The wiring in your afftermarket replacement switch may be wrong also.
We can sort that at the harness connecter when you get there.

Ahh! Now I see.Sorry for the hassle. I was in a hurry to get this done and didn't look at all of Duster's pics. I am using the Chilton manual and it's not exactly complete unfortunately. Thanks again for the help guys. In future I'll try be a bit more careful.Dan

-
Back