Can't get new distributor to drop all the way into the oil pump shaft

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I am changing out the stock distributor on my engine and I have a question. The new distributor which is a CDI unit has a longer blade end than the stock distributor. I can remove the stock one and out and put it back in and twist it and it seats down fine but I cannot get the new distributor to seat down properly. It will line up with the slot in the oil pump shaft and even if I try to twist it and get it to drop in it seems as though the blade end is to long vs the stock end which is very short Note pics.

1st pic is of new distributor. 2nd pic is of stock distributor.

Attachments

• Jul24_001.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 391
  • Jul24_002.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 417
Since no one responded I measured the end shaft of the stock dizzy with a set of calipers and ground down the new end to that spec. and it now fits perfectly.

The way to measure those is to but them in opposite directions and overlap the shafts so that both shafts are "trying to touch" the top mount surface on the flange.

It's either made wrong or more likely the tab is a little out of tolerance (too thick) for the driver gear slot.

you would think they could make one that fit....not having to grind anything......why cant they just take like 10 stock distributors, and design their shaft lengths off the stock ones...

sometimes with tolerances, you may have one part at one end of the tolerances and the other part right on the verge of being out of tolerance on the other end of the spectrum. Both parts in tolerance but every now and then, they won't fit. Or, someone's quality control was lacking.... either way, glad you got it to fit.

seems like they made a one size fits all distributor....just cut a Lil off if ya dont have a 440...lil more off if ya dont have a 383....Lol

I bought a CDI one off ebay
skip white
I had to do the same thing with it, but it was 69 bucks vs msd prices!!

might have been made right next to the msd ones, lol

now msd might have its own pick up assembly inside, make it worth $140 more, nope.

Now I have all msd also, i do think its a bit better but it is over priced.

Went thru this on BBChevy,when I was done a stock distributor triggers my msd 6a.I found through selling parts,pretty hard to beat stock parts.I.m glad you caught it,Duster.Good luck.

might have been made right next to the msd ones, lol

now msd might have its own pick up assembly inside, make it worth $140 more, nope.

Now I have all msd also, i do think its a bit better but it is over priced.

yep, your prob right
I like their parts also, agree about over priced
The 6-AL box I have was bought in 1988, been on 4 different cars
sent it back 1 time just to have it checked out

-
Back