can't get pitman arm on...please help

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
alright so I was changing the gearbox on my barracuda and I have the new one on and i cannot get the pitman arm to slide onto the splines, I know there is a wide spline and it looks lined up but I'm not sure, is there any special trick to doing this other than turn the steering wheel a tiny bit get under the car check and repet... the pitman arm moves foward and back up and down so I'm lost... kinda on my own on this so any help would be awesome.

How about leaving the Steering box loose, Then get the Pitman arm on and get the nut on at least a few turns. Then bolt up the steering box, Tighten up Pitman Arm nut. I believe Thread lock sealer is recommended for Steering box bolts also. Good Luck

How about leaving the Steering box loose, Then get the Pitman arm on and get the nut on at least a few turns. Then bolt up the steering box, Tighten up Pitman Arm nut. I believe Thread lock sealer is recommended for Steering box bolts also. Good Luck
xs2 and i like to use a BA cheater

yeah it isn't on enough to start the nut, I really don't wanna get the gearbox lose again... like to never got it on cause of the headers...but if I have to do that to get it on I guess I have no choice haah.

yeah it isn't on enough to start the nut, I really don't wanna get the gearbox lose again... like to never got it on cause of the headers...but if I have to do that to get it on I guess I have no choice haah.

once you are positive the splines are correct and the keyway is lined up (if it has one) you can take a 15/16 or 1" socket, and a BFH and tap it on until you can get the nut started.

It'll just take some patience getting it line up perfectly. Just please don't force it on and mess up the splines. Can some one gently rock the steering wheel back & forth for you until it "pop's" on enough to get the nut started. Sometimes you need to walk away for about 15 minutes and let your arms stop feeling like Jello LOL. Then you come back & she falls right into place.

once you are positive the splines are correct and the keyway is lined up (if it has one) you can take a 15/16 or 1" socket, and a BFH and tap it on until you can get the nut started.

good advise.about the only way.

One should not need a BFH for this job. Pounding dead on end of shaft with BFH will damage steering gear.

One should not need a BFH for this job. Pounding dead on end of shaft with BFH will damage steering gear.

i never said pound on it. and i suggested a big socket to avoid exactly that. the weight of the BFH is your friend. i have taken off and put on my share of these. i have installed a number of lift kits on jeeps to include dropped pitman arms.

i never said pound on it. and i suggested a big socket to avoid exactly that. the weight of the BFH is your friend. i have taken off and put on my share of these. i have installed a number of lift kits on jeeps to include dropped pitman arms.

i was not directing this at you,you said tap it on,which is what i have done.i was agreeing with you

Did you try putting the nut on without the lock washer first? I recall I always need to do that to get it started.

I hit the edge with a hammer and it slid quiet a bit up the splines with not much effort once I got the splines lined up right.

-
Back