cant get tq to seal to intake

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
for some reason i cant get my rebuilt tq to seal to intake, ive tried it with and without copper seal. any tips or tricks would be appreciated

for some reason i cant get my rebuilt tq to seal to intake, ive tried it with and without copper seal. any tips or tricks would be appreciated
its possible the bowl has gotten warped during the rebuild. They were notorious for that.

Yes, straightedge, but make sure it actually "is"........a straightedge

Wrong gasket? NEVER (and you should not have to) use sealer on a carb base. BE CAREFUL you did not over tighten. I used to grip the ratchet "like a screwdriver" with my hand up around the head, so as not to over-torque the carb bolts.

Check the gasket CAREFULLY for overlapping vacuum passages/ etc.

Also............."simple stuff".........make sure the studs are not so tall that the nuts are tightening on the stud shoulders before then get to the carb base.

Yes, straight edge. Easy fix- maybe some silicone. There is enough meat on the body to machine it flat if you can find someone who can do it.

What intake are you using. Many of the spreadbore intakes do not have enough meat on the back part of the flange to properly seal the TQ. I think the Edelbrock's are the worst. Namely the 318 Performer that just has a 1/4" area around the whole base. In my younger days I learned that not all spreadbore carb adapters are not the same. Most adapters are for the Quadrajet and have the area between the rear two mounting bolts cut out a lot more than a real TQ adapter.

Ive tried a modified per DC ld340(now hooped) and a holley strip dominator.leaks all around base, ive tried 2 types of thick gaskets. Carb is leaking fuel from primary throttle shaft, you can visibly see and feel it slide back and forth sideways, backfiring out of carb this morning and electric choke not working.unfortunately im a man of little patience so the qf 750 is back on as i type.

Copper seal? Never use any type of sealant on a carburetor to manifold gasket. Are you using the correct THICK gasket? It's a little over 1/4" thick.

Now that I understand what a "tq" is- and the base plate is warped- I think you are hosed.

Get yourself a scrap of good flat plate glass, somewhat larger than the carb base. You an go to a glass shop they may have a remnant

Or even something like a good cast iron table saw table

Get some sandpaper lay it flat and make a "pass" with the carb down flat. The pattern will instantly tell you if it's warped etc. Depending, you could even fix it this way!!

Even so, i feel its a firetrap with the leaky primary throttle shaft and not impressed with choke not working.probably something simple there.not going to bother with it.expensive lesson but those are usually the best ones

It may or may not be the throttle shaft per se. Maybe it's worn, maybe not. Might be that the needles/ seats are seeping by

are you sure it's leaking around the throttle shafts ? it sounds to me like the two small rubber washers under the primary jet horns were left out . 350 chev valve seals work for a replacement believe it or not .

Well i put my finger under the end of throttle shaft and its wet.i can see the gap open and close on throttle blades when i move the throttle shaft side to side. On my 72 340 carb i can barely get any side to side movement6

I can't figure out how gas would be leaking around the ts vacuum I can see . maybe I missing something here .

Not just TQ but Holley carbs as well like to leak around the shaft. This is just the carb base plate wearing out. You can replace a Holley base plate, not sure about TQ

-
Back