Can't physically turn my distributor to get much advance

-

MN1968Valiant

In College's Stranglehold
Reaction score
Hey guys-
I'm trying to set the timing on my slant six, but I've found that my distributor hold-down plate maxes out my idle advance at only about 6 degrees. I can turn the distrib the OPPOSITE way and retard the crap out of it before the timing is restricted by the hold-down plate, so that's leading me to think that when I replaced my points distrib with Mopar electric stuff last winter that I stabbed the new distrib in a tooth off. Any thoughts?

fyi, the plate has another adjstment on the bottom and requires a tricky 7/16 wrench or simply pull the distributor.

You mean where the plate bolts to the bottom of the distrib?
And if it's a tooth off, when I pull and restab the distrib I turn the rotor counterclockwise to compensate, right?

If they work like smallblocks you need to restab the distributor gear. I think you are already on the right track.

You mean where the plate bolts to the bottom of the distrib?
And if it's a tooth off, when I pull and restab the distrib I turn the rotor counterclockwise to compensate, right?
Yep. Just mark everything before you pull it.
If they work like smallblocks you need to restab the distributor gear. I think you are already on the right track.

Sorry DD, slants use a gear like a Che, Che, Che, sorry, computer won't let me add the last 3 letters.

Thanks for all the quick replies, guys. I forgot that the hold-down plate also has adjustment in it where it bolts to the base of the distrib. Pulled it, adjusted the plate, stabbed it back in, and all is well.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that plate. I forgot that it had adjustment, and I only swapped distribs a couple months ago. I'm only a young gun! Too young to be losing my memory! :cheers:

-
Back